Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@ruthcatrin I may give Mr. Goodkind's books a try, then.
@patronizingrabbits Oh good, another person in the masochistic cult of George R. R. Martin. I'm glad that @Clegane and I aren't the only ones.

·
Banned
472 Posts
@ruthcatrin If you like urban fantasy, you should pick up some books by Charles de Lint. I have a bazillion books written by him and love them. He has some short story collections too. I love the way he writes his characters!

@CadenceDiscordia I like Terry Goodkind, his Sword of Truth series was very good. His later books like Law of Nines were really just terrible, I am not sure what happened there!

Also I refuse to talk about the Song of Ice and Fire books. I've been traumatized, lol.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Savage Destiny said:
@CadenceDiscordia I like Terry Goodkind, his Sword of Truth series was very good. His later books like Law of Nines were really just terrible, I am not sure what happened there!

Also I refuse to talk about the Song of Ice and Fire books. I've been traumatized, lol.
Then I'll have to check out the Sword of Truth series when I have time. : )
I think everyone has been traumatized (emotionally) by those books. I'm also beginning to seriously wonder if George R. R. Martin will ever finish the series...

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I'm currently reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin, I'm on A Storm of Swords right now and it's soooo good.
I'm on that one too! Such a good series. I was going to watch the show as I read the books, but I didn't like how they changed Daenerys's wedding scene into rape. It completely changed Khal Drogo's character and the nature of their relationship.

My favorite books:

Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O'Malley. The most hilarious, ridiculous series I've ever read. Graphic novels about the life of Scott Pilgrim and how he has to defeat his girlfriend's evil exes in order to date her.

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Historical fantasy. Set during the Napoleonic wars, but in an alternative universe where there's an aerial corp of dragons and crews of aviators. The author is incredibly creative, and also very detailed with the history.

Pukka's Promise by Ted Kerasote. I read Merle's Door first, but you don't really have to do that to read Pukka's Promise. I'm only a third of the way through and it's fantastic. So far it's been about genetics, breeding, and choosing a dog. It's a perfect mix of science and narrative, and the science parts aren't dull or hard to follow even if you're not into that sort of thing. As Patricia McConnell puts it "this might be the most important book about dogs written in a decade" and I would definitely recommend it to any dog owner or prospective dog owner.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Sci fi and comedy. I just finished the Hitchhiker's Guide, almost done The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I think there are three more books in the series that I have to read after that. It's just a really fun book to read- there's plenty of adventure and humor.

And it was mentioned in the thread, but my favorite book since middle school is Firebringer by David Clement Davies. He has a couple of wolf books too, The Sight and Fell, that I didn't like as much. Firebringer is another historical fantasy. It's pretty much a very epic version of Watership Down except it's about red deer rather than rabbits and it's very dark.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just wait until you get to the end of A Dance With Dragons. You'll be not a happy camper. I know I wasn't. =/
I never watched the series (I don't have HBO and I prefer reading the books anyway), but that's frustrating that they made that scene in to a rape. That completely changes the entire dynamic of that relationship as well as Dany's character...

I tried reading Firebringer a long time ago. Maybe I'll try again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Someone mentioned A Song of Ice and Fire?! My wife just designed a house sigil for us. We are weird and obsessed people....

A friend of mine has been suggesting I read the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. His obsession easily matches my ASoIaF obsession, and I trust his fantasy book judgement so it must be pretty good. Anyone here read them?

·
Banned
472 Posts
Pukka's Promise by Ted Kerasote. I read Merle's Door first, but you don't really have to do that to read Pukka's Promise. I'm only a third of the way through and it's fantastic. So far it's been about genetics, breeding, and choosing a dog. It's a perfect mix of science and narrative, and the science parts aren't dull or hard to follow even if you're not into that sort of thing. As Patricia McConnell puts it "this might be the most important book about dogs written in a decade" and I would definitely recommend it to any dog owner or prospective dog owner.
Really? I read Merle's Door because everyone said I just HAD to read it an absolutely loathed it. Ted Kerasote spent an entire book singing the praises of letting your dog roam free with no supervision wherever they want, and if you keep them contained you're basically a terrible dog owner who is infringing on the natural rights of the dog. I wanted to throttle him when he complained about the lady with the dog reactive GSD who kept her dog on a leash and couldn't figure out why nobody would keep their dogs away from hers. Then he let his dog run up and torture the GSD while it was on a tether in her OWN YARD, laughed when the owner got upset, and thought it was HILARIOUS when she finally was forced to move away in order to keep her dog safe from loose dogs.

Definitely not my kind of book.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Really? I read Merle's Door because everyone said I just HAD to read it an absolutely loathed it. Ted Kerasote spent an entire book singing the praises of letting your dog roam free with no supervision wherever they want, and if you keep them contained you're basically a terrible dog owner who is infringing on the natural rights of the dog. I wanted to throttle him when he complained about the lady with the dog reactive GSD who kept her dog on a leash and couldn't figure out why nobody would keep their dogs away from hers. Then he let his dog run up and torture the GSD while it was on a tether in her OWN YARD, laughed when the owner got upset, and thought it was HILARIOUS when she finally was forced to move away in order to keep her dog safe from loose dogs.

Definitely not my kind of book.
That wasn't what I got out of that book. I read Merle's Door as a memoir and how different experiences influenced his behavior and relationship with Ted.

Pukka's Promise is very different though and basically looks into the factors that play into the longevity of dogs.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My To Read List (or the list of books I think look interesting and will buy on my Kindle later):
The Unseen by Richie Tankersley Cusick
Blessed by Tonya Hurley
Game by Barry Lyga (I read I Hunt Killers, the book that came before this one, and really liked it)
Written In Red by Anne Bishop
London Falling by Paul Cornell
The Farm by Emily McKay
The Beautiful Land by Alan Averill
The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett
Rage of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Black Feathers by Joseph D'Lacey
Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb (I've read the Farseer Trilogy, which I loved and two out of the three books in the Liveship Traders trilogy, which isn't my favorite series)
The Lord of Opium by Nancy Farmer (The House of the Scorpion came before this one, and it's a great read!)
Frozen by Melissa de la Cruz and Michael Johnston
The Magician's Guild by Trudi Canavan
The Iron Wolves by Andy Remic

Anyone read anything on this list? (It's been a work in progress for about a year, but I also left a few books off)

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Is that Magicians Guild by Canavan the Black Magician series? I like those, but I'm not a fan of her other stuff.

Husband likes Weis(I like some but not others) and my brother loves Pratchett (I couldn't get into them).

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Is that Magicians Guild by Canavan the Black Magician series? I like those, but I'm not a fan of her other stuff.

Husband likes Weis(I like some but not others) and my brother loves Pratchett (I couldn't get into them).
According to Barnes and Noble's website, it is part of the Black Magician series.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Magicians Guild is the first in the series, I think, I've finished it a while ago and I absolutely loved it. I'm now reading the third one, and so far the series are awesome.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts