Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I dunno if this has been done yet, but let's fill this thread with book recommendations. Post what you're looking for/books you've read that you'd like to read more of and hopefully you'll get a few recmendations. Be sure to quote or mention the person you're recommending a book to!

I'll start. I was wondering if anyone had any book recommendations. I love reading fantasy and the occasional science fiction novel. I also read a lot of young adult novels (and justify it by saying I'm still a young adult at age 25).

Some of my favorite books:
A Song of Ice and Fire books by George R. R. Martin (aka Game of Thrones)
All of the Harry Potter novels
The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
The Pit Dragon Chronicles by Jane Yolen
The Hunger Games books
The Lost Years of Merlin series and The Merlin Effect by T.A. Barron
I've also read all of the Pretty Little Liars books (more of a guilty pleasure than intelligent reading)

That's definitely not an extensive list, by any means, but hopefully it'll give yall an idea of what I'm interested in

My reccomendations (for adults):
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (Western)
Gone Girl by Jillian Flynn (Fiction/Mystery)
Swamplandia! by Karen Russel (Fiction)
While My Pretty One Sleeps by Mary Higgins Clark (Murder Mystery)
Game of Thones and all of the novels that come after it by George R. R. Martin (Fantasy)

Recommended for anyone:
All of the Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling (Fantasy/Magical Realism) Although the first three were my favorites.
The Lost Years of Merlin series and The Merlin Effect by T. A. Barron (Fantasy)

I think that's a good list of recs to get us started! : )

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Hollows Series by Kim Harrison is really good.
The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare is AMAZING. I loved them and can't wait for #6.
Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. Really good.
Of those that you listed, The Hollows series is one I haven't read. I'll have to look it up! : )

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Anything by Brent Weeks or Patrick Rothfuss. STELLAR authors, though I've heard some people didn't like how idealistic the characters were..it's FANTASY books. Kristen Britain and Jennifer Fallon also have some amazing series'.

Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow (poetry/wolves style, NOT dogs)
White Horse by Alex Adams (zombie/apocalypse stile)
The Tao of Equus by Kohanov (psych/horse based)
The Last Days of Krypton by Kevin Anderson (Superman themed, pre-superman's birth type of deal...very cool backstory)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
Stephanie Plum series (up to book 12; everything after sucked) - Janet Evanovitch
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas - James Patterson
Demolition Angel - Robert Crais
The Hunger Games (team Gale all the way!) - Suzanne Collins

I'm a huge reader, and those are just a few favorite.

ATM I'm reading or about to start:
The Heist - Janet Evanovitch
Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt
All That Remains - Patricia D. Cornwell
L.A. Requiem - Robert Crais
True Blue - David Baldacci

Reactions: CadenceDiscordia

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@AmandaNola I just saw a new book by David Baldacci in the YA section at Barnes and Noble called The Finisher. It looked interesting. Also, I read the first Hunger Games book a year before the movie came out, but just finished the series over Christmas. I was kind of disappointed in Mockingjay. =/

@wolfheartmoon That trilogy name sounds really familiar... I'll have to look it up. EDIT: Never mind. The book I'm thinking of is by a different author (it's about deer, I believe). It's the same author that wrote The Sight.

Anyone read The Dragon Riders of Pern? I finished the first book a year or so ago and enjoyed it, but have yet to read any of the others.

·
Banned
472 Posts
Anyone read The Dragon Riders of Pern? I finished the first book a year or so ago and enjoyed it, but have yet to read any of the others.
That is one of my very favorite series. I just love it! The series definitely went downhill after her son took over though.

My all time favorite series is Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Those books... man, they're good!

·
Registered
253 Posts
@AmandaNola I just saw a new book by David Baldacci in the YA section at Barnes and Noble called The Finisher. It looked interesting. Also, I read the first Hunger Games book a year before the movie came out, but just finished the series over Christmas. I was kind of disappointed in Mockingjay.

I liked Dragonriders of Pern, although I've only read the first three books. The Hunger Games was quite good, too.

The Hollows Series by Kim Harrison is really good.
The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare is AMAZING. I loved them and can't wait for #6.
Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. Really good.
I loved Beautiful Creatures

Hey everyone! I dunno if this has been done yet, but let's fill this thread with book recommendations. Post what you're looking for/books you've read that you'd like to read more of and hopefully you'll get a few recmendations. Be sure to quote or mention the person you're recommending a book to!

I'll start. I was wondering if anyone had any book recommendations. I love reading fantasy and the occasional science fiction novel. I also read a lot of young adult novels (and justify it by saying I'm still a young adult at age 25).

Some of my favorite books:
A Song of Ice and Fire books by George R. R. Martin (aka Game of Thrones)
All of the Harry Potter novels
The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
The Pit Dragon Chronicles by Jane Yolen
The Hunger Games books
The Lost Years of Merlin series and The Merlin Effect by T.A. Barron
I've also read all of the Pretty Little Liars books (more of a guilty pleasure than intelligent reading)

That's definitely not an extensive list, by any means, but hopefully it'll give yall an idea of what I'm interested in

My reccomendations (for adults):
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (Western)
Gone Girl by Jillian Flynn (Fiction/Mystery)
Swamplandia! by Karen Russel (Fiction)
While My Pretty One Sleeps by Mary Higgins Clark (Murder Mystery)
Game of Thones and all of the novels that come after it by George R. R. Martin (Fantasy)

Recommended for anyone:
All of the Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling (Fantasy/Magical Realism) Although the first three were my favorites.
The Lost Years of Merlin series and The Merlin Effect by T. A. Barron (Fantasy)

I think that's a good list of recs to get us started! : )
I truly enjoyed Harry Potter.

Also, like Kwenami /for some reason I couldn't quote you), I recommend Patrick Rothfuss' books. I love them.

Actually I'm reading a couple of teenage fantasy books (don't remember the translation to English), Don't shoot the dog (Really good book) and The Lord of the Rings. I'm finding the latter quite slow, but I hope it's a little faster in English (I'm reading it in Spanish, and I hope I can someday read it in the original version)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Midnight I speak English as my first language and couldn't get through the first chapter of the first book in Lord of the Rings, so it's not just you! They're pretty dense reading. I actually bought the whole series in audiobook format in hopes of finally getting somewhere with the books (I'm about to start seminary in August and will have an hour long commute both to and from campus which will be perfect for listening to audio books).

·
Registered
253 Posts
@Midnight I speak English as my first language and couldn't get through the first chapter of the first book in Lord of the Rings, so it's not just you! They're pretty dense reading. I actually bought the whole series in audiobook format in hopes of finally getting somewhere with the books (I'm about to start seminary in August and will have an hour long commute both to and from campus which will be perfect for listening to audio books).
Actually, the audiobook thing is a really good idea! I think I'll try it too. I hadn't thought about it, thanks a lot!
Also, it's good to know it's not only me, this is the third time I try to read them xD

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, the audiobook thing is a really good idea! I think I'll try it too. I hadn't thought about it, thanks a lot!
Also, it's good to know it's not only me, this is the third time I try to read them xD

It is definitely not just you. Plus, it's much more difficult to read and enjoy a book translated from one language to another. I learned that when I tried reading English translations of Pablo Neruda and Jorge Luis Borges. Not to mention I'm not fluent in Spanish nor do I have the abilities to understand and appreciate the subtleties of the original translations... It's kind of disappointing haha.
I got the audible app for my iPod touch, rather than going out and buying CDs of the books. It's so much easier.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I grew up on the Dragon Riders of Pern series. Love the original ones. The latest ones, that were "co-written" by her and her son.....well, lets just say that if she has no problem with her son publishing his fan fiction to her series thats her business, but I wish she wouldn't put her name on them.

Patricia Briggs: ANYTHING, but especially her Mercy series (werewolves, vampires (that don't sparkle), Fairy, and a woman who changes into a coyote!)

Seanan McGuire: Her Incryptid Series is total Urban Fantasy (what would the world be like if manticores, gorgons, and unicorns were real, and hiding from humanity?). Her October Daye series is Urban Fantasy with more traditional leanings (Fairy is real, and its peoples live among us).

While we're discussing Anne McCaffrey: Pick up her Talent series, and the Tower series, and the Crystal Singer trio. I liked the original trio of Peytabee books, but couldn't get into the rest of them. The Cattani series was ok, but I didn't like them as much.

Jim Butcher: his Dresden series is DARK Urban Fantasy (Wizards are real, and so are demons, and Fairy, and vampires-that don't even come close to sparkling.....), if you like a good mystery set in Urban Fantasy and can handle the dark nature of the books you'll love these. Note: the first Dresden book is his first ever published book, it has some "new author" issues, stick with it, they get better! His Fury books are more "epic fantasy", and took me longer to get into, glad I stuck with them though.

Mike Shepherd: His Kris Longknife series is Sci fi, and more towards the young adult side of things, but enjoyable none the less

David Weber: his Honor Harrington series is SciFi again, and unless you like political discussions you'll probly not want to bother with the books after about book 10 or so, but the earlier ones are quite enjoyable.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know, you can't imagine (or well, maybe you can xD) how strange some of the songs sound once translated. It's just... It doesn't sound right. And those are the good translations xD
I perfectly understand your suffering, reading in a foreighn language is always hard at first. I'm slowly getting comfortable when reading in English, and now I can enjoy it most times... But I'm starting to read in French and it's frustrating!
Anyway, we're getting out of topic. Should we start a new thread?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ruthcatrin That's a nice, long list of recommendations! I can't wait to look them all up : )
@Midnight don't worry about starting a new topic! We'll just stick to book recommendations haha. (Although, our convo was related to books)

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Oh gosh, I could go on and on....

John Ringo: well, they're not young adult books! Most of his stuff is either SciFi-ish or military fiction-ish. And he has a tendancy to go into lecture mode, I have no idea how accurate he is on some of it (not very on some of it I understand), but its all relevant to the story, so its worth it to wade through it, but he occasionally makes my head hurt.

Anyway: Under a Graveyard Sky is essentially a study of how the zombie apocalypse might actually happy for real, set in a military fiction setting.

Centurien is the modern version of hte plague (serious head ache warning though)

The Ghost/Paladin of Shadows series, is SO NOT FOR CHILDREN, and is the reason for the "oh Ringo, no!" meme, just....don't read it if you're a prude, k? Military fiction with a serious sexual twist.

Aldenata series: scifi/military fiction, has head-ache inducing tendancies

He has a ton more books, I'm just going to stop here....

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ruthcatrin It sounds like John Ringo isn't for me haha. I'm not much of a fan of books that have a military theme to them.

I forgot to add Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo to my list of book recs. It's fantasy set in what I would call Russian aesthetics. The next book in the series is good too.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
The really sad thing is I'm not even half way done....

Sharon Lee's Liaden series (co-written with Steve Miller) is one of the best examples of a scifi world written urban fantasy style. She's also got a bunch of books written by herself and I've liked most of them.

Michelle Sagara's Cast series....not sure how to classify these, they're not urban fantasy, and they're not epic fantasy....they're a bit odd, and the last couple have lost my attention, but I really liked the earlier ones

Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series is vampires and werewolves and witches, and the real world discovering that they're really for real. I don't care for Hunter's other stuff, but I like this series.

Ilona Andrews's Magic series is awesome, vampires with a twist I've not seen before, weres, and magic overpowering technology. This is actually a husband/wife co-author under the name, they have other books too, which I've also enjoyed.

Ok, I'll stop for the moment....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts