Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! My name is Page and I'm new to this forum!

Anyway, I recently - yesterday - adopted a new dog. I already had a puppy, a Chihuahua named Woodstock. The new dog is a Basenji mix of some sort, who I named Zero. Woodstock is 9 months old, and Zero is 2 years old. I'm really just looking to get some perspective on what I'm noticing with the new dog, and how he and Woodstock interact.

A little more about both dogs;

Woodstock: I've had Woodstock since he was about four months old. He came from a shelter, and they didn't know anything about him other than that he had come from California. He's a very sweet, submissive dog - at least, towards me. He is generally well behaved, though still occasionally takes his time preforming requested tasks (sit, down, paw). When it comes to other dogs, he is very timid. He had never shown aggression, though I am aware that fear can cause a dog to become aggressive. He does suffer from some separation anxiety, albeit it's gotten better as he's gotten older. SA is part of why I acquired Zero.

Zero: I just adopted him yesterday, so I really don't know him at all. The shelter I adopted him from had had him for a few months, up from California as well. From what I understand, he was living with the owner of the shelter, and her pack of three dogs (one pit mix, one lab mix, and one very aggressive teacup poodle). I'm unsure of exactly what the living arrangement was when she wasn't home. I was told that he generally doesn't bark, is good with other dogs, and always wants to be with his people.
He is about twice the size of Woodstock (12 lbs, to Woodstocks 7 lbs).

So far, I've noticed a few things. First, he can be timid as well. If I extend my hand too quickly towards his head, especially from above, he cowers. For this reason I suspect he may have been abused. He also cowers to a raised voice (I used a sharp "hey!" when I saw him getting ready to mark.).
Second, he did snap at the sales woman at Mud Bay. She was crouched next to him, and extended her hand quickly to rub his head. He yelped and snapped, although he did not land a bite. He has not shown this behavior towards me.
As far as interacting with Woodstock, things /seem/ to be going well, although I'm not entirely sure of some of the behaviors between them. When Zero first came home from the shelter, I immediately took both dogs for a long walk to help them bond, and tire them out before going into the house. They mostly ignored each other, except when they were going around peeing on top of the others pee.
Once inside, Zero immediately marked three places (both corners of the couch, and the corner of the entry way). I told him 'no' the one time I did catch him in the act. I also cleaned up all marks. Afterwards, Woodstock set about engaging Zero is play, which is something Woodstock would /never/ do with another dog. He chased Zero around, licking his muzzle and rolling over. Then Zero would chase Woodstock and roll over. They both play bowed and pawed and mouthed each other. It all seemed fairly innocent, although Zero did growl a few times.
Since I don't know him yet, I don't know how to interpret his growling. Is it playful? He is saying "I'm done playing, leave me alone."?
There have been other occasions where Woodstock has gotten up in Zeros face, and he has growled then too. Here I'm wondering who needs a correction - Zero for growling, or Woodstock for being obnoxious.
The two also seem to compete a little for my attention, although Woodstock is usually the one to "give up" and walk away. Zero has not growled when competing for attention. Zero does occasionally stare at me and moan/whine, I'm assuming in an effort to get attention.

EDIT: Zero is starting basic obedience this evening. Woodstock has not received any formal training, but I will likely enroll him as well. The classes will be separate.

All input or analysis is appreciated, and I'm sure I'll have more to add to this absurdly long post later. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
For now , NO corrections to the dogs......dogs growl when they play, that's what dogs do! When the pup gets in the older one's face and he growls at him, he is teaching him his boundries, and also puppy manners, so for now I'd just let them sort it out. If they actually get physically aggressive, in the future, then you will have to intervene. They should both know the basics at their ages as far training, so making them both 'sit' before getting attention could help with the competition (treats come in handy here LOL!) Glad that you are taking them to classes!

Reactions: Lclewis49
1 - 2 of 2 Posts