Dog Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
If people are nervous about the interaction, for instance, you mentioned Scooby's owner being nervous/excited about his dog interacting wither other dogs, that could make the situation worse. Dogs have a tremendous ability to sense the feelings of the people around them. If the people are nervous or anxious this could make the dog more nervous and anxious in response without an understanding of what the nervousness or anxiousness is all about. It seems like you have a much better attitude regarding the dogs interactions than Scooby's owner. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree that walking them is the best way to unify them and they could do well with supervised play. Just make sure as soon as the play gets a bit high energy, stop it, calm them both down and then let them play again. I would not leave them alone together just yet. Supervise everything and set them up to succeed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We have been walking them together twice a day and it has made a huge difference! I never leave them unsupervised even if they are happily sleeping, i just don't trust Scooby 100% yet.

I can't let them play yet as it becomes to much to quickly, they had a little play literally about a minute and suddenly Scooby lunged at Rossi. Luckily Rossi noticed and pulled back and we grabbed both dogs, Rossi came away with a small puncture wound and a split lip!! but thankfully he was fine and it has all healed already.

I kept them completely separate the next day so they could get some space from each other in case it was building up between them and we just didn't notice! After that day i took them straight out for a long walk together and they where absolutely fine as if nothing had happened! and even fell asleep on the sofa together! :thumbsup: Things are definitely improving.

I understand how much human emotion has an impact on the dogs, this is why i never let the two dogs meet properly while Scooby's owner was around. My mum also gets quite nervous/frustrated so i made sure she was away when i was working with him! She has learned to trust him now and she is totally relaxed and assertive with him now and is actually doing better with him then me! haha :D

21 - 23 of 23 Posts