Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I need to start weaning a dog off of my presence. About a week ago, my parents got a rescue dog to be a companion for their older dog, and while everything is going well, the new dog has completely bonded with me and gets incredibly anxious when I'm not around. He thinks he is my dog! Unfortunately, I live in another country most of the time and only came to visit during the lockdown. I leave in a little over a week, and we can already tell he is going to be an anxious disaster! How can we start to get him to bond with my other family members and make the transition easier?

Super Moderator
Its lovely he has taken to you but it is very early days. Every dog is different but what I'd do, is have you go our for short periods, regularly. While you are out, other family members become the source of wonderful things - toys, treats etc.

It might help, might not - or you could always take him with you when you go 馃槉

Registered
I鈥檇 also suggest that you stop feeding him entirely and have the other family members take over the feeding as well as giving treats and toys to play with. And try to be a bit less interesting than they are lol

Registered
How does he act when you leave? How bad is the anxiety?
I just want to point out that most dogs adapt quickly. Even though he gets anxious when you leave him now he is most likely to adapt well after you鈥檝e left.

Then they can start to build their relationship and bond with him. Even though they should work on that already it will be easier when you鈥檙e gone. To get him to bond with them they should be the ones feeding, playing, walking him etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts