Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not like to over vaccinate my dogs; this basically means that they get their puppy shots, and after that only rabies every 3 years. For the past 6.5 years I havn't gone anywhere (vacation wise) and I was hoping to finally go away camping for a long weekend in September.

For those that give minimal vaccines, how do you go away for a couple days here and there if all places say that all pets have to have every single vaccine known to mankind??

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I do not like to over vaccinate my dogs; this basically means that they get their puppy shots, and after that only rabies every 3 years. For the past 6.5 years I havn't gone anywhere (vacation wise) and I was hoping to finally go away camping for a long weekend in September.

For those that give minimal vaccines, how do you go away for a couple days here and there if all places say that all pets have to have every single vaccine known to mankind??
I'd ask the place if they except Tithers, those would prove that your dog still has immunity to what they are vaccinated for. You may still have to get kennel cough but might get to skip the rest.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
The the boarding kennels and 'hotels' that I know of, in this area, all require proof of vaccination. Your prerogative to not vaccinate, but those board and care facilities will not be available to you without that proof. You can always leave your dogs with relatives or friends.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The kennel I work at offers "in home boarding" for people who can't or won't board their dogs in a kennel. I know there are also websites where you can find people who do that sort of thing like DogVacay and Rover.com.

Vaccines are important in kennels because some animals are unable to receive their vaccinations for medical or age related reasons, so they rely on herd immunity to stay healthy in an environment where there are lots of animals from different areas coming and going. The dogs exempt from vaccines also tend to suffer more if they do catch a disease. So most kennels are pretty strict about vaccines for those dogs' sakes.
Also, some owners get pissed if their dog does get sick. I don't know why. Parents don't send their kids to school and then get mad at the school when the kid catches a cold. But some owners can be kind of dumb/crazy, so we try to prevent those things from happening.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would see if they accept titers, I think most do. I don't vaccinate at all, but I also don't ever go anywhere to need to board them. But keeping up to date titers is a good idea.

·
Registered
507 Posts
rover.com might also be a good option for you!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
The place I bring Aspen to requires rabies, kennel cough and distemper - with proof. I don't know if that's a lot or not.

As it turns out, I've been needing to board her about every 6 months so I keep her kennel cough UTD. Anyway, at Aspen's yearly exam in June, my vet told me that kennel cough isn't required by law. I told her that I knew but we would be boarding in September so I did need it. I thought it was interesting that my vet, who "should be" pushing me to vaccinate and spend money was actually doing the opposite.

I agree with an in home sitter if you aren't comfortable vaccinating. Is there a reason you can't bring the dog(s) camping? Do you have any neighbors that could take care of the dog(s)?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Can a friend or relative house sit and watch the dogs? That's what I do.
Unfortunately I don't have any family or friends that could watch them. My mom is terrified of big dogs, my brother doesn't like dogs, my father is working in a different city, and my sister is also a bit weary of big dogs. Plus I live an hour away so they wouldn't do the commute to work and back.

The kennel I work at offers "in home boarding" for people who can't or won't board their dogs in a kennel. I know there are also websites where you can find people who do that sort of thing like DogVacay and Rover.com.
To be honest, I don't know how they would do with a stranger coming into the house without us there.

But keeping up to date titers is a good idea.
How often do you titer test them?

I agree with an in home sitter if you aren't comfortable vaccinating. Is there a reason you can't bring the dog(s) camping? Do you have any neighbors that could take care of the dog(s)?
I rarely go away, while I adore my dogs, bringing them camping would not be a mini vacation for me. Maybe if I have just one dog I would bring him along.

I will check out the links you guys gave me. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any family or friends that could watch them. My mom is terrified of big dogs, my brother doesn't like dogs, my father is working in a different city, and my sister is also a bit weary of big dogs. Plus I live an hour away so they wouldn't do the commute to work and back.

To be honest, I don't know how they would do with a stranger coming into the house without us there.

How often do you titer test them?

I rarely go away, while I adore my dogs, bringing them camping would not be a mini vacation for me. Maybe if I have just one dog I would bring him along.

I will check out the links you guys gave me. Thank you for the input.
I titer every couple of years. I don't worry too much about it, because of feeding a strict raw diet, their immune systems are all pretty up there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have used the same pet sitter for the past 10 years. if you are worried, do a gradual introduction, have the person come over for a meet and greet, maybe even a couple times. Then have them stop in to take them out potty for a couple times and see how it goes. Work your way up to overnight and if the dogs don't like the person, find a new one.

I had a german shepard/hound mix that did come off a bit aggressive and another dog that for medical reasons, only got a rabies shot every 3 years - kennel was out of the question. It is so important to have someone that can be there for your dogs when you can't get there or for vacation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts