Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I think I have made up my mind about this, but I kind of want to see what you guys think of my decision.

I'm going on a much-needed and long-awaited vacation to Disney World over Easter (March 25-30). I have three dogs, and one of them I will be leaving home, which will suit him fine. The people taking care of my horses will look after him. The other two, Pete and Winston, I will be boarding out. I had originally thought I'd send them to this "pet resort" I've heard about. They have nice indoor/outdoor "condos" for the dogs, a large (1 acre) fenced yard area where they'll take them daily to play (in a group if desired, but individually (or just my two in my case) if preferred. It seems ideal and is actually cheaper than my vet's office for both dogs to stay (by $2 per night).

However, I don't think Pete has spent the night away from home since he was neutered many years ago, and Winston has never spent the night away from home in his entire life and isn't the most social fella. He's not aggressive, just shy and a little anxious around new folks. I'm really worried about dropping them off in a brand new place with people they've never met and leaving them for seven nights.

So, I've about decided to board them with my vet. They have indoor smaller kennels (size of large crates), and outdoor larger kennels (10X5ft I'm guessing). Other than that, there is a very small "yard" that is completely concrete between the actual building and the outdoor kennels. I'm not sure if the dogs even get to go out in that part to roam. It's tiny and there's nothing to do really. It used to be grassy with a tree, and i think they USED to let the dogs roam there individually but not sure now.

Anyway, the whole reason I'm considering the more expensive and less "luxury" vet instead of the other place is that Winston and Pete are familiar with the staff there and they are familiar with Winston and Pete! I just feel like I'll worry less knowing the dogs are there.

Am I making the right decision? There is no other option, by the way. No pet-sitting friends or anything like that. They have to be boarded somewhere.

·
Registered
813 Posts
What I always do with new puppies as soon as they are settled in my home and had all their vax, I book them in the kennels where they will eventually board. First time, just the morning. The following week from closing time in the morning (10 am) to opening time in the afternoon (3 pm). The week after from closing time (6 pm) to next morning opening time (8am). So they gradually get used to being away from home, get to know the staff and the different routine in the kennels. Seems to work for me.

Is this something you could try - you still have some time.

I like the sound of the bigger place, I'm sure my dogs would prefer it. The vet place sounds a little cramped and soul destroying for my liking.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Having worked in a Vet office that did boarding, I'd say do the pet resort. The dogs that boarded with us I always felt bad for. There were no windows in the room they stayed in, most dogs ended up stepping in their own feces because of the smaller kennels. There was very little stimulation for them. Sometimes we had recovering dogs in there that would be crying as they woke up and it would stress out our boarding dogs. That vet wasn't great in the first place, so maybe your vet has a better set up but personally I would say that you should do the boarding facility. I like @icemaidens idea a lot. Do some day boarding, and maybe a few overnights to get your pups used to them and their facility.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Further to my post - please inspect the pet resort, if you haven't already. Sometimes posters/flyers paint things in wonderful colours but reality can be different. Are pet resorts normally that cheap? In the UK, where I live kennels charge around £10 per dog per day. Better kind of boarding establishments charge in excess of £20.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You need to find and talk to people that have boarded their dogs, wherever you are considering boarding yours. I would listen carefully to what people says about the facility and how their dog(s) fared while there, and what they were like when picked up, IE; happy, weight loss, stressed, clean, dirty, and so on. The few times we have had to leave Samantha, we used the Pet Smart Hotel, and had reasonable experiences there, but there is no place like home. We rarely leave her, most of our travel is in a motor home, and she goes with us. Frankly to us, cost is no issue, Samantha's well being is what we primarily are concerned with.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Only you know how your dogs would react and where they will be most comfortable. I travel a ton and Pax has been away from home just as much as he has been home and we have been to a variety of places. Personally not a fan a vet boarding...it is an option we have but they are caged up most all day. Pax however is VERY social and outgoing and his favorite place is an open ranch where they all get to run and play ALL day (supervised of course).

Anything in between is an option, but whatever you do I would recommend boarding them for a night or two both as a test run and to get them accustomed to a new place before you leave them for an extended period.

My vote is the Pet Resort, they will get much more attention. I would send them for daycare for a day or two and communicate your concerns with the staff to get their feedback on how they do there.

I have also found GREAT independent pet sitters through http://dogvaycay.com

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've boarded dogs at both of these facilities actually, though the pet resort is under new ownership/management now I believe. Both times the dogs were fine (different dogs than the ones I have now).

I know personally I think the pet resort seems like the more appealing place too. They are also slightly cheaper as the vet will charge $16/night/dog and the resort will charge $20/night for one dog and the other is half price if they share a kennel, which they will!

But honestly, the only reason I boarded at the pet resort before was because the vet was full. This was years ago.

There is a third option too, another pet resort, but I know very little about it. A friend of mine used to work there, and of course she says it's far better than the one I was considering. In fact, she basically warned me not to take the dogs there.

I'm just worried because I never know how Winston will react to people. The staff at the vet's know his quirks and are very good with him. He's at least spent the entire day there before when he was neutered, so he's been in the kennels there (though obviously not his usual rambunctious self).

I don't know. Both resorts are about 30 minutes from where I live and 45 minutes from where I work, so I can't really drop him off or pick him up in the morning for a trial run.

I'm actually off work this Friday for a doctor's appointment, and I should have time to run by one if not both resorts to check them out then.

Ugh, this dog (meaning Winston)! I'm so silly over him!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I would recommend the pet resort, assuming you've already inspected the place, met the staff and checked up on their reviews/credentials. Board them there several times for short periods and maybe a few overnights before your trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts