Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We recently bought a boarder collie. I only see it a few minutes a day, the other two people I live with are it’s main owners.

I got in the habit of rubbing it’s belly every time I’d see her as she loves that, and now whenever she sees me she basically forces me to rub her belly, and if I don’t she starts biting my feet and chasing me. The bites aren’t hard but they’re bad enough where this has got to stop

Any ideas appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it’s a puppy she’s teething, completely normal. Puppies will bite much and hard, try to direct the biting to toys instead. And don’t make your hands, arms, clothes etc fun toys by moving and “playing”.

I’m just interested, what will they have the Border Collie for? Herding, Agility, obedience trial?

·
Registered
126 Posts
She should get all her adult teeths by 7-8 months so It’s normal that she is still teething. However, it also depends on how you act when she is biting you. Don’t reward her by making yourself into a fun toy. Ignore her and/or get her a toy to chew on.

Okay, I hope you know what you have gotten yourself into, getting a Border Collie. I really recommend you getting that dog some serious mental and physical stimulation. Excessive biting, destructive behavior and other bad behavior can also be a clear sign of under stimulation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owners had a boarder collie before that was a house pet and apparently was the perfect dog. So they’re hoping for the same. It doesn’t look good though lol. She has tried to bite strangers out of fear And other dogs

She is definitely under stimulated and they seem to think it’s not an issue. Maybe they’ll find a play mate for her eventually, becuase yes, she needs way more play time and tasks

·
Registered
126 Posts
She doesn’t need a play mate. She needs to work. A Border Collie is a working dog. If they aren’t allowed to herd you should at least practice agility, rally obedience, obedience trial or such. Have you considered rehoming her, to a person who us fit to own a Border Collie? Both you and the dog will be much happier, trust me. I don’t know anything about you but it sounds like you should look into companion dogs, a dog who will suit your lifestyle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I mentioned, this is not my dog. I just live with the owners. It’s entirely out of my control at they ultimately decide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, they walk her, take to park. Etc, big yard to run in whenever she wants. She does end up sitting around the house many hours a day when they work though. Not sure how that’s avoidable, how much downtime do you suspect a border collie should have each day ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
For how long do they walk her each day? And how much other exercise and activities is she offered?

Except maybe 2-3 hours of walks each day the Border Collie needs to work with its head. Herding is absolutely the most ideal, but any activity that will give her some mental stimulation is good at this point. I know people who exercise their BC’s easily 5h+ each day, walks, running, bikerides, canicross, herding, obedience, rally obedience, agility, freestyle, etc. She is still young and don’t need the exercise as a fully grown BC, but for instance my friend competes in rally obedience with her 10 month BC (similar age to their bc). The other week I watched a video of a 17 week old bc herding sheep's, had never been trained, just did it out of instinct. So they are bred for working.

But anything is better than nothing so recommend them to look into anything. They might find something they really enjoy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ZThey walk in for maybe an hour or two a day, maybe three or four on weekends. The rest of the day the dog sits around the house or goes out in the yard by itself. They play with it in the living room, tug of war and stuff like that for a little while, watch movies with it, etc, The yard is large but I don’t think it has anything to really do out there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Alright. Well, she definitely needs training, and then some sort of playmate

The owners had a boarder collie previously and apparently it was an incredible dog. So I’m not sure what’s different

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not all dogs are the same. They probably got a non typical Border Collie before who maybe was satisfied with their lifestyle. When getting a dog you need to do research about the breed and what it needs to be happy. You can’t just choose a breed because you’ve met one individual who was perfect, I guess that’s what’s different.

Sad to hear that they don’t listen to you. To be harsh it’s very cruel to get such a high maintenance breed with such a high energy level who has an extreme need to work and then not offer it. Hope they will reconsider.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah that’s what I figured too. There is also the issue that this dog has tried biting people visiting. Like actual bites, not play. So it’s not looking good.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That’s really concerning. They need help from a professional or they need to rehome her to someone who knows how to deal with her. In worst case scenario the dog will hurt someone, maybe a child, really bad, get put down and they will be responsible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts