Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We have a blue Pitbull who is a year old, the last two months we have been dealing with severe skin issues, he is licking, chewing and scratching constantly. We have taken him to the vet a couple times and they just give him antibiotics and steroids which do nothing for him. We have purchased medicated shampoo, it’s not helping either. We have also changed his food from Salmon to Lamb two weeks ago.
I don’t know what else to do, please help....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Skin allergies are unfortunately pretty common for bully breeds. What worked for my girl was an omega 3 supplement daily. She gets a plant based omega oil daily and no more skin issues. Coconut oil (in his food, or you could rub it on the affected areas.

Try noting the plants in your garden as well, he could be having a reaction to those. You also may want to put a cone on him to stop him chewing until you get on top of things.

When you changed his food, did you change brands as well? It may be a certain ingredient, not just flavour, consistent in that brand causing the issue. I have also had success with Hills Sensitive Stomach and Skin (not prescription Z/D).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skin allergies are unfortunately pretty common for bully breeds. What worked for my girl was an omega 3 supplement daily. She gets a plant based omega oil daily and no more skin issues. Coconut oil (in his food, or you could rub it on the affected areas.

Try noting the plants in your garden as well, he could be having a reaction to those. You also may want to put a cone on him to stop him chewing until you get on top of things.

When you changed his food, did you change brands as well? It may be a certain ingredient, not just flavour, consistent in that brand causing the issue. I have also had success with Hills Sensitive Stomach and Skin (not prescription Z/D).
Thank you so much for your help, yes we have changed protein and brand of food. We will give your suggestions a try, thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts