Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get a Blue Heeler Rat Terrier mix, she is about a year old, but I want to know how these dogs behave around kids. I have 3 kids ages 2, 5 and 7. I hear they have a lot of energy which is good, I do have a decent yard for her. Any info you can give would be awesome! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Not a good fit I'd say. If the heeler herding instinct is predominant there could be trouble since heelers herd by nipping at the sheep.

Also, high energy dogs need more than a decent size yard. If you just pop them out in a large yard and expect them to entertain themself... well, they probably will, but it won't be in a way you or your wallet will enjoy.

Also, most heelers/heeler mixes I know are very hard to keep penned in - fences are more polite suggestions than anything that will physically contain them.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Well I have an ACD/rat terrier. I have only had him a few days, and he is 10 months old.

My guy takes after the ACD a lot. He really behaves like a small 20 lb ACD and not much like a rat terrier.

This dog is exceptional. I truly believe you could put him at any task and he'd do well at it. I do agility and dog sports and so he is perfect on that front.

He has more energy than any dog I have EVER had by FAR. His energy level is completely unbelievable. He is very fast moving and is like a little bullet on four legs. I took him to a field yesterday and he sprinted for an hour straight. I mean full out sprinted.

He is very trainable in that he learned sit in all of 1 minute (literally). He learned drop it and leave it in just a few repetitions. He needs no motivation, just doing things is enough. He is very checked in to me already.

He has no impulse control at all. I have small dogs and this is a problem. He wants to chase and bite them.

He bites. A lot. He is very over stimulated by movement and loud noise. Anything that makes him excited makes him bite. Affection- he bites.

He also jumps all over everyone and everything. He thinks it's fun to come full throttle into you and then slam himself into your crotch or at your head.

On walks, he is very over the top about cars, people, other dogs.

He plays ROUGH. He has a lot of power for a dog of his size. He'd fetch till I stopped throwing. He wants everything in his mouth and was dragging my rugs all around just because.

He is pretty much either sacked out asleep or is vibrating with energy. Thank god he has an off switch.

He is in your face and very affectionate (but bitey). He loves people.

He resource guards people and I am sure he would food and toys if I gave the other dogs access to him when toys were out.

I will be honest, I've had a lot of dogs and he's a real challenge. He's inherently a good dog but there is a looooot of energy (I can not overstate his energy level!) and a lot of desire to bite things and people and other animals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one I am looking at the people said she is around their 2 children and she is very good. They have no time for her anymore so that is why I wanted her. I hate seeing dogs have to go to shelters. You can really see the rat terrier in her. They said she is house trained,cage trained and very well behaved around their kids.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
He IS fun but a handful. I think he's a gem and so fun but his work load is very high and he really needs outlets for that energy. I've never had another dog that wants to learn so badly though. He is very very smart.

My main concern would be small kids and other animals. She is young and if anything like Hank she is herdy and likes to nip. I don't think Hank would purposely hurt a kid. He is very friendly with people. But he's seen kids on tricycles and running around and he wants to chase very badly. And any play with Hank at this point involves biting and nipping. I could just imagine a kid running past and Tripping and Hank getting over excited and nipping and scaring the kid.

For a comparison he has to be on a leash in my house right now 24/7 because he cannot handle the papillons running around or barking. My entire life right now literally revolves around teaching Hank to be calm around things that move fast and make noise.

I have known a few other ACD/terriers and they are all similar. Usually very very active, somewhat guardy, very nippy and a lot are destructive. So glad Hank is not.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Also looks-wise Hank looks about 50/50. His build is more rat terrier I think but is colored like a heeler. He acts like a heeler too.

Anyways don't want to discourage you but I do think heeler mixes and heeler terrier mixes can be challenging dogs. They are very common in Rescue and shelters around here. Usually it is for being too hyper or biting someone.

But If you admire a brilliant capable and athletic dog with more energy than you thought was possible they can be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Neither breed is very good with kids. Others already described the heeler temperament and why they don't make a good match with kids. I know one well and while he's fine with kids, he's not particularly comfortable around them either and just walks away.

From what I know about rat terriers, they are not into loud or rambunctious behavior, and similarly will just get out of the way when kids are around.

It could work, especially if the dog has already been around kids, but if you are looking for a dog that will love the kids and love to be around them, a heelerxrat terrier is not a good choice.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The one I am looking at the people said she is around their 2 children and she is very good. They have no time for her anymore so that is why I wanted her. I hate seeing dogs have to go to shelters. You can really see the rat terrier in her. They said she is house trained,cage trained and very well behaved around their kids.
People looking to get rid of their dog will say ANYTHING to get you to take the dog. I wouldn't suggest taking a herding breed/mix with small children in your home. Herding breed rescues are really strict about that for a reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking to get a Blue Heeler Rat Terrier mix, she is about a year old, but I want to know how these dogs behave around kids. I have 3 kids ages 2, 5 and 7. I hear they have a lot of energy which is good, I do have a decent yard for her. Any info you can give would be awesome! Thanks.
I love my RT heeler cross. She's the perfect size, 18 inches tall full grown, and about 35/40lbs. She gets along with other dogs cats and chickens. Not sure about other small animals though. She has a TON of energy and is super fast and very intelligent. However she does not like kids. She is weary of strangers and has bit before. I recommend this particular mix for a single person or couple that is active and has a lot of time and patience.

·
Super Moderator
1,660 Posts
Am Dog lover, Am Planning to buy a cute Rat Terrier puppy Or Begle Puppy which is Best for Kids ??

We Are Looking for low Maintenance & Healthy dog
The people above have given reasons why they don't recommend rat terriers with kids. Beagles are hounds, and are often unreliable off leash. This is a really old thread, why not start a new one for advice, saying what you are looking for in a dog - healthy and good with kids is a start but what are your needs for exercise, grooming, size, ease to train, independence versus handler focus?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I second the information already given about heelers. They are very talented and loyal and very happy if they are kept busy ALL THE TIME in my experience. Not a great fit for families who are busy with kids until they get older and slow down. Great for a tradesman who can have them by their side all day. And they can be fiercely protective so might be good with your children but it can limit whether your children can have friends over. Of course there are exceptions but my local shelter always has heelers because their owners couldn’t meet their needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
This thread is old I don't know who bumped it up. I don't think the person that started this thread gets on here anymore. Just warning everybody who's wasting there time writing on here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts