Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone know that breed ? He can damage my apartment ? Or bite some neighbor?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,240 Posts
Any dog could cause damage or bite someone.

But a working type breed is maybe more likely to be bored without a 'job' to do and boredom can lead to frustration, which could result in destructive behaviour. And heelers have the instinct to herd by nipping at the heels of the flock (hence the name) so could be more nippy than some breeds.

But these behaviours are avoidable. Is it your dog, and is there a reason why you are worried about these things?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iam owner and my tenants want to adopt that breed iam worry from damge to the house or that he ll bite someone
I thought to allow small dog in the beginning so iam trying to research

·
Super Moderator
1,240 Posts
I understand. Could you tell your tenants they would have to pay for any damage, and keep the dog on leash around the neighbours? That should apply whatever the breed they want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is that i want to minimize the damages the house is like new

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Whether a dog, or cat for that matter, will damage a home is dependent on the temperament of the dog, and how the owners train and manage their dog. I've had medium sized dogs, small dogs, and a toy sized dog, so the weight range is from 9 lbs up to 44 lbs. None of my dogs have damaged my home. If any had then I'd pay for the damages done, or repair them myself, depending on if the damage was something I could handle on my own.

Sadly not all are like me, and it's because of the ones that aren't that landlords don't want to rent to pet owners and considering some of the pictures I've seen I do understand.

I think your best bet is to ask the people for references and see how they left the places they have lived in in the past. Also ask for a pet deposit that will be refunded if the property is undamaged by the pet when they move. Also state that you want to do an inspection every 4 to 6 months the first year they have the dog and if the property is damaged by the dog then he has to go, if the property is undamaged then you'll drop it to yearly inspections. As a renter I'd be agreeable to all those terms and welcome them since it would mean you were a decent landlord who was going to keep the property in good shape. I've rented from slumlords and it ain't good so I know the worth of a decent landlord.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts