Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried a medicated oatmeal bath, and Benadryl and I am still seeing her itch to the point where she's crying all the time :( She's miserable and I cant stand to see her go through this anymore.

Some back story, I got Kyra at 10 weeks old, when she first came to me she used to twitch often and itch constantly to the point where she would keep me and my Fiancé up all night. I noticed that it died down with no help around what would be her 4 month birthday, which is around the time that I was finally able to clear up her tape worms and then about two months later (6 months) I began to see her itching again, to the point where her poor tummy was red and raw. Then I began to notice what looked like an ear infection, so I took her to the vet. While at the vet she received her rabies and 1st set of distemper shots and had an ear exam. We scheduled an appointment the following day and the vet then gave her a shot to make her sleep while he cleaned her ears and when he gave her the reversal shot to wake her up she seemed fine at first. At this time I also mentioned the itching and bought a medicated oatmeal bath for her. While I was doing the paperwork, my Fiancé took her outside, when she came back in she was itching and crying really bad, then I noticed the hives on her stomach. As I inspected her, I realized she was twitching very badly, and her eye lids were swelling up. The doctor gave her a shot of Benadryl and we waited for it to kick in, after we took her home I gave her 30mg Benadryl every 6 hours for 48 hours as the vet prescribed. While on the medication I noticed her itching almost stopped, but the meds would take almost 20 mins to kick in and would wear off after 4 hours then she'd be miserable again.

I am at my wits end with how to help her. She's miserable and its breaking my heart, any advice is helpful and is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Kyra,

I absolutely know what you are going through. I have several posts in this 'health' part forum where I've been dealing with my dog, Jaya, and her allergy issues.

Benadryl doesn't so much stop the itching I think as just make the dog too sleepy to care whether they itch or not...and it's just covering up the problem not fixing it. I still give it to Jaya, though as at least she can get a little bit of relief from it.

I think you can save some steps..and just go get a blood test done on your dog to find out what the allergens are...and then have a custom made serum done using your dog's blood. I will probably be doing that with Jaya in the spring. But before I do, I'm trying colostrum in her food.

I found with Jaya that she probably doesn't have a food allergy but a pollen based one. She stops itching during the winter when the snow is on the ground but starts right back up in the spring.

Other here have had success with switching their dogs to a raw diet...especially those dogs that have food allergies. With the blood test, if you find it is food based, maybe you can skip the serum and just change the diet.

Please do some reading here of mine and others posts about there dogs with allergies and see what others have done for their dogs. I don't have a lot of money so I'm trying the colostrum over the winter in hopes of balancing out my dog's immune system and hoping her body won't go into overdrive producing histamines this spring in trying to deal with allergens.

My vet, btw, charges about $200 for the test and said the serum for 5 months would be around $130 to $150.00 Jaya is about 55 pounds. I have found though that my vets are dirt cheap compared to others in the country...but if you have a smaller dog, that might balance the numbers out too.

Wish I had a magic wand so I could just wave it and cure all dogs of severe allergies...they are so miserable and it's hard to watch and know there's no miracle cure. Steroids are not good for a dog, but will stop the itching for a short time...and I would avoid Predizone like a plague ... would rather see my dog itch than what that crap did to her when I tried it. It stopped the itching but caused some major issues...that I'm still trying to correct...and her treatment was cut short and she's been off of that drug for months now.

Anyway, like I said, look down the post listings and you can see how others are dealing with allergy issues in their dogs. It's a learning process. I have heard the serum works ok with most dogs as it's made from their own blood. So, I have hopes there if the colostrum powder I'm giving to Jaya doesn't work.

Stormy

·
Registered
368 Posts
It is a little unusual for a dog that age to have such severe allergies, though it is possible. Be sure you have ruled out sarcoptic mange, which can cause incredibly severe itching (usually, but not always, there is a crusty dermatitis along the edges of the ears and on the elbows, which are classic signs of this mite). Almost no amount of anti-itching medicine will control the itching caused by this mite and you did say Benadryl offered some relief, which suggests it is not this problem… but I would have your vet do a few scrapings regardless, just in case… not always an easy mite to find on a scraping, so sometimes we just treat for Sarcoptes anyway and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts