Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing to see if anyone else has run into this issue with Blue or any other brand for that matter.

I currently have 2 1.5 year old English Springer Spaniels. They are lap dogs for 3/4 of the year and avid hunters the rest.

I was feeding them Diamond Naturals until the recall and decided to switch to Blue Buffalo Adult Chicken and Rice. Needless to say they had no problem with the switch and seem to love the food. It also cleared up some redness they both had on their belly's. (assuming something in the diamond that is not in the Blue)

As hunting season nears and I begin to run them, I usually switch them to a higher protein diet, so they can get the extra energy to last longer in the field. I bought them some Blue Wilderness Chicken, Duck, and Salmon. My male will eat anything, as he gobbles this food up without issue. The female, however, seems to just sit there and stare at her bowl for a while. Seems as if she really doesnt want to eat it( and that is any of the 3 flavors, it does not matter)

Is it possible that she just doesnt like the high protein food? If i put some Blue canned food in with her dry food and mix it up, she seems to eat it...but i feel like I shouldnt have to do that??

Any experiences or advice would be helpful ! Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
She could be bored with it. I have a puppy that I started on blue. Before the bag was up, he stopped eating it. Perhaps save the wilderness for the male, but switch the female to something different? I'd suggest Earthborn holistic primitive natural. It's waaay cheaper than Blue buffalo and better quality. I have an older female dog I also tried feeding wilderness, but she's very picky. She eats Earthborn now

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Sounds like she's bored with it. I had my girl on BBW just before switching to homemade, and before the bag was up she was bored with it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies everyone..

I checked into the Earthborn and there isnt a dealer within 70 miles of me...

any other suggestions on brands? Id like to keep the protein content under 35% I think...and something with Glucosamine in it is a must for my dogs...

if anyone has an success stories on brands that might fit for me, please feel free...im open to anything...

I have a PetCo near me....I can get brands such as Wellness Core and Merrick, as well as a few others....

THanks everyone !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try moistening the food with water. It brings out more of the flavor and makes it smell more enticing to them.
My own dog is on blue as well and he hates it dry, but if I put tons of water in it he'll eat it within a few minutes.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Is it possible that she just doesnt like the high protein food? If i put some Blue canned food in with her dry food and mix it up, she seems to eat it...but i feel like I shouldnt have to do that??

Any experiences or advice would be helpful ! Thanks
I don't think it's the protein that is the problem. It maybe the combination of meats in the wilderness that the dog does not like. Maybe the wilderness chicken would work for her. My dogs wont eat anything with fish in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried all 3 flavors--duck, chicken and salmon

Recently started mixing in some of the blue buffalo canned food with it and she gobbles it down ....

i may think of trying something else

1 - 7 of 7 Posts