Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 14wk Yorkie that I adopted had been on Wellness dog food brand but he won't really eat it unless I mix in some wet. I was wonder overall what is the better brand Blue Buffalo or Wellness for a small breed puppy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wellness is what he came home on and blue buffalo is just a brand that I have heard really good things about. If there is an even better brand I would love to know about that.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Wellness is what he came home on and blue buffalo is just a brand that I have heard really good things about. If there is an even better brand I would love to know about that.
Blue Buffalo actually has had a TON of recalls and personally, I wouldn't feed it.

Wellness was what I had my dog on for the past 2 years and I found the same as you! She was never very interested in her food.

I switched her to Earthborn Holistics and have had wonderful results.

Another brand that I have heard great things about (but never fed myself) is Taste of the Wild. We also have many members who feed Fromm.

I recommend looking at Chewy.com because if you set up autoship, you can save money. I also like that you can manipulate your autoship days. The default is every 30 days, but a big bag lasts me around 50 days so I changed my ship date.
@naturalfeddogs is a great resource for food. Really great if you're interested in hearing about raw feeding but she knows about kibble as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The 14wk Yorkie that I adopted had been on Wellness dog food brand but he won't really eat it unless I mix in some wet. I was wonder overall what is the better brand Blue Buffalo or Wellness for a small breed puppy
I would look into feeding Honest Kitchen instead of either of those foods. I think it is a better food. Its dehydrated so you add warm water to hydrate it and its like home cooked food.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
The Honest Kitchen is a great food! It's pricey though (although maybe not with a small dog....), what's your price point?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The Honest Kitchen is a great food! It's pricey though (although maybe not with a small dog....), what's your price point?
If you feed the chicken formula a 10 pound box is 59.00 which makes 40 pounds of food. I was paying almost that for a 27 pound bag of kibble
Revel Dog Food – Whole Grain Chicken
https://www.chewy.com/zignature-turkey-limited-ingredient/dp/36739
I would order a few samples and try it first to make sure your dog likes it.
Check at a few smaller pet stores they sometimes have samples.
My dogs love it and are far slimmer eating this over kibble. My hound was always on a diet on kibble.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for telling me about the samples it is def something I want to try before I invest in. It's not out of budget but I did feel a little sticker shock but you know you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Blue Buffalo USED to be great, back in the day. Then they got bought out by a bigger conglomerate (as was Merrick, recently), and the quality of their ingredients, as well as their recipes in general, just went down, down, down.
Blue Buffalo is still an independent company. They were not acquired by a larger company but they did go public which has put a lot of pressure on their short term financial performance. Apart from the dubious claims they make about relative quality, the company's ongoing problems with quality control are due to manufacturing too many products in too many 3rd party facilities. They are too reliant on their contractors to test ingredients for contamination and they seem to invest more money in marketing than safety controls and testing trials. Blue Buffalo has earned a poor reputation with vets due to the large number of pets who present with digestive problems, urinary issues and mineral imbalances after being on the food for a while. Plus it is quite expensive. I personally would not feed it.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions, I did decide to go with honest kitchen when I compared their ingredients with other brands. We got a 4lbs box of Love to start may try the fish brand too or look for vitamins to get my pup DHA

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I did decide to go with honest kitchen when I compared their ingredients with other brands. We got a 4lbs box of Love to start may try the fish brand too or look for vitamins to get my pup DHA
I would get a sample of the fish first , my dogs don't like fish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks thats the plan because Max didnt really love the fish Wellness he had but who knows maybe he will like the honest kitchen fish

1 - 14 of 14 Posts