Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not 100% sure if there's other threads with this subject already, nothing came up when I searched.

Teddy just woke up out of his sleep hacking up a storm. I rushed him to the tub so he can throw up, he did three times back to back. All three times it was a yellowish color, very foamy looking with little bits of blood in it. I started balling like a baby because this has never happened before. He's been perfectly fine all day, haven't seen any changes in his normal behavior, still eating and drinking water like normal. Has anyone ever dealt with a similar situation? Currently he's in my lap fast asleep, maybe he just had an upset tummy? :confused:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Could be he ate something that upset is stomach, if nothing came out there could be a blockage. Is he still pooping? I would check with the vet to make sure everything is okay.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have dealt with this situation. A vet visit is a good idea, but so much throwing up may have simply irritated your pup's stomach that much. Bloody specks in vomit on a dog that keeps throwing up on an empty stomach is very common.
The yellow stuff is bile. If he keeps throwing up, or you see blood in his poops too, definitely time for the vet ASAP!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
If you know his stomach was empty my first thought is hunger pukes, usually yellowish foamy throw up is a sign of it, and the hacking might have irritated his throat causing the specks of blood. Zody will get hunger pukes if I let his stomach get completely empty, he usually gets them bright and early, first thing in the morning, but he's never had any blood flecks in them.

If Teddy throws up again I'd get him to the vet. Likewise if he starts to seem sick, like with lethargy, continued vomiting or starts diarrhea, or he keeps coughing, get him to the vet. Otherwise if he was mine I'd keep a close eye on him, and maybe get him checked out on Monday just to be safe, but skip the sky high price of the emergency vet by taking him in on a Sunday unless he continued to seem sick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much everyone for giving some advice! I really appreciated it.

At the moment I literally live in the middle of nowhere and the closest emergency vet is 2 hours away, ridiculous I know. His vet isn't open until tomorrow so I'll be calling to schedule an apt. I gave him some pepto last night and he slept through the night perfectly fine with no more vomiting. He has been very playful, eating and drinking water fine, no blood in poop nor diarrhea.

This morning he was doing well until he started throwing up again. It's 3 times back to back again too. Today he seems kind of scared to put anything in his mouth so I've been giving him water through a syringe and gave him some pepto, he's now sleeping.

·
Registered
368 Posts
as someone already mentioned, flecks of blood in vomit, particularly after multiple episodes, is not rare, and does not necessarily mean anything particularly bad… but repeated vomiting is not good as this will often lead to serious dehydration and things can get more serious if not treated soon. Pepcid, not Pepto, is the preferred treatment for the stomach (Pepto helps with diarrhea, but not vomiting, unfortunately). Your veterinarian can tell you the dose (call them).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've been 24 hrs without any vomiting!! He started eating a ton yesterday, drinking a lot of water. He's been running around everywhere today with his favorite toy, he seems to be back to his normal happy go lucky self with extra hyper on the side lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts