Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two chihuahuas in my avatar ...the brown one,Rupert , had the runs and vomiting the other day and now the white one,Dinky, has it.Rupert is now eating chicken and rice but poor Dinky has a jelly like poo with blood in it.

I rang the vet yesterday and she told me to starve Rupert and just get him to drink..so Idid and he has picked up...but now the other one has started.I am running out of newspaper!! I am making sure he keeps hydrated too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have to agree with Spades...unless you can pin point a reason why, like a drastic change in diet that would cause it, I'd worry that they picked up a virus. When I lived in California, I ran into a new strain of parvo that "attacked" adult dogs. The local vets in my area called it "Black Parvo" or Italian Parvo".
I would definately get a second opinion and I would offer food if they want to eat it.
Im sorry that your pupsters are sick Bonzy. I hope they get well soon and are back to their happy little selves soon. Please keep us posted on how they are doing.
GG

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have your vet do a stool check. they will check for worms and other parasites that can be causing them to vomit and have mucus and blood in their stools. They could have a bout of Coccidia. Coccidia is easily treated and they should be treated every year with Albon.
It works great and is also for bacterial infections.
Also, take their temperatures. If they are running a fever then take them to the vet!
Also to make it easier on their little digestive tracts feeding Chicken and Pasta is much better than rice.

It's really not a bad thing to not feed a dog for a day. It will help them by giving their intestines a break. You can also give them Pedialite (sp?) in their water. This will help keep them hydrated.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts