Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone ever had a bloodhound that would take a protective stance against something they feel threatens you? I asked the breeder and he said that he has never had one show those traits. She does not growl or even raise the hair on her back just gets in front of me and stays there. This happened when my loud father in law (who has no clue how to treat a wonderful dog) was making growling noises while trying to give her a ball. i left right after that cause i dont like to subject her to stupid people. She did it yesterday on our walk when there was a man walking on the other side of the road. just wanted to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hi,

i am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone ever had a bloodhound that would take a protective stance against something they feel threatens you? I asked the breeder and he said that he has never had one show those traits. She does not growl or even raise the hair on her back just gets in front of me and stays there. This happened when my loud father in law (who has no clue how to treat a wonderful dog) was making growling noises while trying to give her a ball. i left right after that cause i dont like to subject her to stupid people. She did it yesterday on our walk when there was a man walking on the other side of the road. just wanted to hear your thoughts.

my impression is that the dog is having a mix of curiousity and anxiety about som'thing "wierd" in her enviroment.

I wouldn't put too much thought about the standing in front of you and "protecting" you... dogs that are "protecting" their people are 99% of the time just trying to protect themselves and the rest of the time they are guarding you because your a resource (took all the romance out of that didn't I? Sorry ) The more likely scenario is that the dog wants to investigate, but it uncomfortable walking to far from you...so they end up som'where in the middle between the new person and you.

what happens if the person aproaches when the dog is fixated on it?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as the man (who said oh my a bloodhound) did not run up to her she was ok but as soon as he went to shake my had (after he had already loved on her) she got really cranky and pushed him away (mind you she is 85 lbs at 8mths old) she is still a puppy and i spoil her. I owned dobes for a looong time and only my female showed the "protective" tude. I just dont want her to become fear agressive or just lose it cause my father in law is a stupid idiot. She is not like any of the other hounds i have met though she is not focused on smell unless i tell her to find something and she does not just run off when we are working off leash so maybe its a seperation thing?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
As long as the man (who said oh my a bloodhound) did not run up to her she was ok but as soon as he went to shake my had (after he had already loved on her) she got really cranky and pushed him away (mind you she is 85 lbs at 8mths old) she is still a puppy and i spoil her. I owned dobes for a looong time and only my female showed the "protective" tude. I just dont want her to become fear agressive or just lose it cause my father in law is a stupid idiot. She is not like any of the other hounds i have met though she is not focused on smell unless i tell her to find something and she does not just run off when we are working off leash so maybe its a seperation thing?
Perhaps she is a bit jealous...or she has anxiety about people being to close to you because its new and strange and doesn't happen alot.

Can you carry treats and ask people to feed her while they are close to you?

As far as staying with you if could be an attachment thing...could be a puppy thing too...she might grow out of it...so reward the heck out of it now, while shes offering it too you.

I find that a lot of dogs that run off are making an "on" and "off" leash distinction. If you puppy hadn't learned that "off" = freedom yay! And that "on" leash is frustrating and restricting...Then its not as big of a deal to them to be off leash I find.

Sounds like you have a nice dog.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did carry treats with me when we went to the puppy classes the only thing is she is NOT food driven. I have tried everything from hot dogs to cheerios and she could care less. She even eats SLOOOOW. she is a great puppy/dog and i love her so much she is my first hound and well it took a bit to learn that they were not joking about the drool LOL thank you for the advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts