Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice. My 9yr old intact male BC has suddenly started to show a bit of blood in his urine. Mostly it's just a few drops at the end of the stream, every once in a while it's quite bad or he will drip a few blood drops after he's finished urinating.
I had him at the vets today, she couldn't find anything wrong, no signs of infection, prostate feels normal... She has given him some anti inflammatories with instructions to bring him back on Thursday if he's not better or if he becomes worse. Then she can sedate him and do scans and all kinds of other expensive tests.
He acts perfectly normal, appetites normal, except for the part where he thinks his "wife" is in heat while she's been sterilized for some eight years.
She recently had a bath which seems to have given him some ideas which she is not appreciating.
Is there something more i can give him, or do for him to make my buddy better? I'm just a human and the sight of blood in his urine scares the life out of me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I may be getting confused here, (I'm at that age lol) but I seem to remember my son having the same problem with his BC, and it was Addisons. I'll ask him, but don't expect a quick reply because my son's hopeless.

Lynsey

·
Registered
368 Posts
Fairly common complaint, but that does not mean I know what is wrong... but commonly this is typical of prostatic bleeding secondary to excitement when around a dog on heat (or thinks there is a dog in heat?). But could be prostatic infection (despite it 'feeling normal'), a bladder infection, bladder or urethral stones, bladder inflammation for other reasons (cystitis, tumor etc.)... can't tell much and will only be a guessing game unless testing is done.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone,
I havent noticed any blood today, so maybe the anti-inflammatories are working. I will keep an eye on him and see, if it doesn't clear up when her "cycle" ends in a week or so I will find the money somewhere to send him for more tests. Is it possible he's acting this way there's another bitch in heat nearby ? we do live in town now, not the farm anymore!

·
Registered
713 Posts
2 questions: Did your vet do a urinalysis? And what do you mean by "when her "heat" cycle ends in a week or so? Does she have "heat" cycles or something similar?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Animalcracker, yes the vet tested the urine for infection with one of those sticks and looked at it under the microscope. I cannot figure out why he thinks she's in heat, this is the first time in years he's been this obsessed with any of the two bitches. I'm not sure what is going on in that head of his, I'm just going it ends soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts