Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my dog Abby, a 50% Bassett Hound and 50% Bloodhound at exactly 8 weeks old. This dog is the sweetest I've ever seen, you could take food, treats, toys, etc from her mouth and she'd never growl at someone or bite them. Recently while playing with my brothers dog, a pit puppy, our grandmother's dog who is an aggressive/anxious boxer had walked outside and the pit puppy submit to the boxer instantly. The boxer pinned her down, growled, and snapped at her but never bit her. Out of nowhere my hound comes from behind and snaps at the boxer. She sounded mean like I've never seen her act before. Yesterday while giving her a treat I also gave our pomeranian a treat. They've never had any problems together and all of a sudden she jumps on the pom like the boxer did to the pit. Why would she do this all of a sudden at 2 years and 8 months old? Do I have to start worrying about her being aggressive?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
she's growing up.
conflicts, when solved in a social adequate manner, happen in an adult dogs life.
I don't think this makes her aggressive.

With the boxer it could be that she felt she had to protect the puppy from the older dog. It could very likely be that she saw the puppy as a funny companion and was resource guarding the puppy.
with the treat it was resource guarding for sure.

doesn't mean that she's necessarily aggressive... just needs a bit of training and guidance. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts