Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Lou. Any guesses as to her breed? I rescued her in June, her mom was a dark brindle and white boxer (boxer mix?) with ice blue eyes like hers and they guessed her dad was a pit bull. I just am at a loss with her! Usually I'm great at guessing breeds. Doubtful that she is a catahoula but that would explain the eyes and color. Also can anyone explain her color genetics to me? I've read all the genetic pages but I can't figure out what she would be considered or what her dad would have had to be to produce this crazy color combo!

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Why is catahoula doubtful? That would have been my first guess.

As far as the color goes, the blue eyes could be the result of the white around the eyes - it happens sometimes. Though more likely it's genetic which makes me think houla.

The color looks like ee red to me - the same color as yellow labs, golden retrievers, and irish setters (another gene controls the shade from almost white to dark red).

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Pits have blue eyes occasionally. I don't really see anything other than pit, to be honest, though lab x pit mixes are very common and look a lot like pits, too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Pits have blue eyes occasionally. I don't really see anything other than pit, to be honest, though lab x pit mixes are very common and look a lot like pits, too.
If pits can have blue eyes then I would say pit is likely. Though houla puppies can look very pittie like as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is catahoula doubtful? That would have been my first guess.

As far as the color goes, the blue eyes could be the result of the white around the eyes - it happens sometimes. Though more likely it's genetic which makes me think houla.

The color looks like ee red to me - the same color as yellow labs, golden retrievers, and irish setters (another gene controls the shade from almost white to dark red).
I only was hesitant on the catahoula because all her brothers and sisters were normal solid pitbull colors, red & blue nose as well as some fawn and a black and white one with one blue eye but no typical catahoula flashy coloring other than the eyes. I've had a houla and she was about the same size and body shape.
Hmm maybe she is though? It's good to hear other opinions! Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I definitely see pit and don't see boxer at all.
It should be easier to tell by looks once she gets older and definitely take into account her personality once she's reached adulthood. Both personality and look should help you make a better guess about breed mix.
Regardless of what she is, she's a beautiful pup!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I only was hesitant on the catahoula because all her brothers and sisters were normal solid pitbull colors, red & blue nose as well as some fawn and a black and white one with one blue eye but no typical catahoula flashy coloring other than the eyes. I've had a houla and she was about the same size and body shape.
Hmm maybe she is though? It's good to hear other opinions! Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Ahh, in that case, knowing what the littermates looked like, pittie sounds more likely. Houlas do come in solid colors, but I haven't seen red and blue like in pits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.