Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... So my dog just had some black stool. Really black. It was formed, but soft. Not diarrhea , just soft when I picked it up. Called the Vet and they said to wait until tomorrow. He has no other symptoms. Acting totally fine. Just ate some boiled chicken and is sleeping after a very long walk.
Do black stool always mean blood or can it be something else?
I don't have a problem with taking him to the vet and I am just really worried since when I Google "Black stool in dogs", I only get really awful results. Should I take him to the Vet or wait it out and see if the next poop is normal?
He honestly seems totally fine. Pink gums. Great appetite.

Thanks,
FS

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dogs haven't experience that, I guess you will have to wait first as what your vet have suggested check it again the next day or once he poops, then if it is still black feces then you can take him to your chosen animal doctor. Black stool occur when your dog ate something that is too dark of colour, or it can be an internal bleeding but hopefully not.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
If you are unsure, get your Vet involved. Better to find out its nothing, than to wait and discover more could have been done earlier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi... So my dog just had some black stool. Really black. It was formed, but soft. Not diarrhea , just soft when I picked it up. Called the Vet and they said to wait until tomorrow. He has no other symptoms. Acting totally fine. Just ate some boiled chicken and is sleeping after a very long walk.
I don't have a problem with taking him to the vet and I am just really worried since when I Google "Black stool in dogs", I only get really awful results. Should I take him to the Vet or wait it out and see if the next poop is normal?

Thanks,
FS
The first thing that comes into our mind if our dog has black stool is that it needs medical attention.Try observing if it still going to be the same. Maybe he just ate something? It's good that he's still acting normal. That's a good sign that probably it's nothing serious. To be sure, do a stool exam on your dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks,
FS
I would definitely take your dog to see the vet. Black stools most often are due to bleeding but can also be caused by the ingesting of certain substances which could be harmful for your dog.
My best advice to you would to take your dog to the vet. I hope it all turns out well in your favor. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts