Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums but have a health issue with my 7 year old laborador retriever that I was hoping someone could really help out with.

To start with his symptoms and the progression of the condition, in May of 2019 (6 y.o. at the time), a small portion on his tail (above the gland there) and a spot above his neck where his collar sits began to lose hair (we now take off his collar to prevent being aggregated). We took him to the vet, and they tested him for hypothyroidism which came back negative. At that time, he also took allergy pills but this did not help. We took him in again a bit later when his hair loss got worse, and they then tested him for Cushing’s disease with many tests, and did a skin scraping to test for mites. Both of these were negative. He also took steroids which were prescribed, and these also did not help. Around this time, he was also bitten by 2 ticks as we live in a wooded area, but he has since been continuously administered Bravecto, a tick and flea medication, when coverage runs out. He was also tested for Lymes disease, which was negative. Per the vet on one visit, we have been giving him CHG baths as needed (his skin is very flaky and gets a little better with a bath), ear washes, and eye cream. Nothing has helped. He also suffers from chronic ear infections.

His condition of hair loss is still worsening, and we have been referred to a dog dermatologist, but costs for allergy testing and other skin testing are proving to be tremendously expensive and over priced.

Overall, it is now December of 2019 and we have taken him to the vet on many different occasions. We have ruled out hypothyroidism, Cushings disease, Lymes disease, and mites. Other symptoms include a large belly, being overweight despite not eating excessive amounts of food (appetite normal), watery eyes, flaking skin, darker skin in some areas, lots of hair loss that started on the tail and inside of his ears and now has moved down his entire tail, to the top of his head, his arms and legs in little patches, and chest a little. I have attached photos of his tail, legs, and head at this current time. He also has a history of fatty tumors. Please help us figure out what is going on with my dog! It would really be appreciated. None of the vets have figured anything out. Does anyone have a similar experience?

58B785D5-4807-42AB-92E3-3796153B472B.jpeg
58CDAA5D-F7C1-495A-9A47-980CB9DC66C2.jpeg
9247BF52-2404-46FE-8A73-84C3D454D549.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of food are you giving him?
We were feeding him Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin Dry Dog Food for about 4 years (well before the hair loss began), and a few months after the hair loss began, we decided to try a new dog food which is Members Mark Exceed Salmon and Pea Grain Free Dry Dog Food.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Well the food looks ok on the surface of it but it's low in vitamin B7. The issue could potentially be diet related. You could try giving him a B7 supplement for a while and see if that helps. The other things you mentioned are the first things you would look for if you suspected a parasite or a medical cause.

I think it's a good idea to take him to a dermatologist either way. Discuss the vitamin supplement with your vet and see what they say. I am not a vet so take it as a suggestion and nothing more.

Is he uncomfortable and scratching/licking/biting the affected areas a lot?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Diet has a great deal to do with their coat. I personally am not a fan of processed food for them. We feed ours only fresh, everything is USDA certified for human consumption, and prepared by a kitchen that lightly cooks it, It contains, all the meat, organ meat, fruits, berries, vegetables required for their nutrition. At age eleven, ours still has a great coat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the food looks ok on the surface of it but it's low in vitamin B7. The issue could potentially be diet related. You could try giving him a B7 supplement for a while and see if that helps. The other things you mentioned are the first things you would look for if you suspected a parasite or a medical cause.

I think it's a good idea to take him to a dermatologist either way. Discuss the vitamin supplement with your vet and see what they say. I am not a vet so take it as a suggestion and nothing more.

I appreciate the feedback! But he doesn’t scratch/lick/bite often surprisingly. He only does so on occasion in select locations like his leg, but never his tail or other areas.

I appreciate the comments regarding his diet as well. It just seems strange that he had never had these coat issues before while feeding him the same food for years! But, we will keep trying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Diet has a great deal to do with their coat. I personally am not a fan of processed food for them. We feed ours only fresh, everything is USDA certified for human consumption, and prepared by a kitchen that lightly cooks it, It contains, all the meat, organ meat, fruits, berries, vegetables required for their nutrition. At age eleven, ours still has a great coat.
I appreciate the comments regarding his diet and what you are saying about processed food!

Yet, the coat itself, aside from the patches of hair loss is quite soft and thick. It just seems as though the affected areas just keep spreading. And it does seem strange that the hair loss began so rapidly, despite having fed the same food for years with no issues. Maybe we can try a more natural diet and see where that takes us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I just now realized too that vitamin b7 is the same as biotin, my apologies! We have actually been giving him a vitamin b7/biotin supplement for about a month now with no changes. :/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums but have a health issue with my 7 year old laborador retriever that I was hoping someone could really help out with.

To start with his symptoms and the progression of the condition, in May of 2019 (6 y.o. at the time), a small portion on his tail (above the gland there) and a spot above his neck where his collar sits began to lose hair (we now take off his collar to prevent being aggregated). We took him to the vet, and they tested him for hypothyroidism which came back negative. At that time, he also took allergy pills but this did not help. We took him in again a bit later when his hair loss got worse, and they then tested him for Cushing’s disease with many tests, and did a skin scraping to test for mites. Both of these were negative. He also took steroids which were prescribed, and these also did not help. Around this time, he was also bitten by 2 ticks as we live in a wooded area, but he has since been continuously administered Bravecto, a tick and flea medication, when coverage runs out. He was also tested for Lymes disease, which was negative. Per the vet on one visit, we have been giving him CHG baths as needed (his skin is very flaky and gets a little better with a bath), ear washes, and eye cream. Nothing has helped. He also suffers from chronic ear infections.

His condition of hair loss is still worsening, and we have been referred to a dog dermatologist, but costs for allergy testing and other skin testing are proving to be tremendously expensive and over priced.

Overall, it is now December of 2019 and we have taken him to the vet on many different occasions. We have ruled out hypothyroidism, Cushings disease, Lymes disease, and mites. Other symptoms include a large belly, being overweight despite not eating excessive amounts of food (appetite normal), watery eyes, flaking skin, darker skin in some areas, lots of hair loss that started on the tail and inside of his ears and now has moved down his entire tail, to the top of his head, his arms and legs in little patches, and chest a little. I have attached photos of his tail, legs, and head at this current time. He also has a history of fatty tumors. Please help us figure out what is going on with my dog! It would really be appreciated. None of the vets have figured anything out. Does anyone have a similar experience?

View attachment 245247 View attachment 245245 View attachment 245246
Hello everyone,

View attachment 245247 View attachment 245245 View attachment 245246
If you are vaccinating him it would be a good time to stop for a long period of time. .. several years. Do not use flea products. Vaccines, especially when we over vaccinate, cause all kinds of allergies and immune diseases. He probably has an immune disorder. He could also have heart issues. A large belly, allergies , and hair lose are all symptoms that go un-diagnosed by vets for some reason. Have an xray of his chest done. Remove most carbs from his diet: carrots, potatoes, peas, corn.... No cheap treats like milk bones, treats with red dye, or other store bought treats. Add coconut oil, 1 tbls a day to the diet. You can also rub coconut oil in the hair loss areas. Make home made broth. Use a whole organic chicken and cook it in water for 4-6 hours. Very low heat. This Makes a delicious homemade broth.... you can eat this as well. Give him 1 cup a day or more. Over time his immune system will bounce back. It will take awhile for sure. Vaccines are our pets worst enemy due to the over vaccinating that our vets lead us to believe is needed. Healthy dogs are vaccinated their first year only. The immunity will last a life time. Facebook- its all about the dog

1 - 9 of 9 Posts