Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Which companies?

She actually kind of looks like a Tibetan mastiff to me and if they donÂ’t have her breed in their database than she may be coming back as another related breed.

There are black Pyrenees but they are still piebald- white with black patches/spots- my boyfriends sister has one. I donÂ’t believe they can be Black and Tan like that but maybe IÂ’m wrong.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
(Part 2 because I was on my phone and couldn't post a pic)

So this would be a "black" Great Pyrenees. All Pyrenees are piebald, the white ones are genetically piebald and they either don't show any patches (extreme piebald) or they were born with patches that faded with maturity.

When you google "Tibetan Mastiff" or if you've seen articles online about "the most expensive dog" or whatever, keep in mind that the Chinese breed dogs for incredibly extreme conformation and that the extreme, expensive Chinese bred dogs don't really resemble the original breed much at all. I mean, look what the Chinese have done to their German Shepherds.

The other thing is that your dog could be a mix that resembles livestock guardian breeds like the Great Pyrenees and Tibetan Mastiff but is really a mix of other dogs that combine to resemble them. However I would think even a less reliable DNA test would be able to pick up on a mix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We tested thru WISDOMPANEL and EMBARK
-Embark came back as 100% Great Pyr and referred to her breed as being a “sister breed” to the breeds Pyrenean Shepherd and Pyrenean Mastiff.
-WisdomPanel said she’s 87.5% Great Pyr 12.5% Marema Sheepdog
Maybe Marema Sheepdogs have a black gene?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
You should email the companies and ask about your results.

There are also a couple of groups on Facebook you should ask in called:
Coat Color and Genetics
Embark Dog DNA Discussion

The members are very knowledgeable about genetics and it would be interesting to hear their thoughts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow she really does look like a Tibetan Mastiff and based on looks I’d say that’s what she is. But both companies said they test for that breed and we got her as a reject from a Great Pyr breeder. 5DBB4781-60E1-41DF-ACE7-38D9A38D1BAD_1542499284898.jpg

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Yeah if sheÂ’s from a breeder and both tests are confirming Great Pyrenees then she must be, but if youÂ’re on Facebook IÂ’d definitely recommend posting in those groups to get some insight on her color.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Which test did you use?
Tan point is found in Great Pyr, tan point is what this dog looks like, but it considered off standard I believe (though many are not bred for conformation).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came across this forum while looking for info on our (pictured) black Great Pyrenees. We were initially told she was a black lab/pyr mix. We’ve had her dna tested by 2 companies and they both come back as Great Pyrenees. Has anyone ever heard of a black pyr?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts