Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!
When looking around for a Cockapoo or Cavapoo breeder (or both, so they could help me find out which mix is right for us!) relatively close to where me and my family live, I stumbled across a breeder named Black Creek Doodles which sells both Cavapoos and Cockapoos, but also Havapoos! Of course, I don’t want to purchase a puppy from a puppy mill or backyard breeder, so I was wondering if anybody on this forum has experience with this breeder and could share what they think of them. If not, maybe you could help me out and look through their website and/or their Facebook page? I’ll link them both below!
Website: Cockapoo, Havapoo and Cavapoo Puppies in Virginia | Breeder in Virginia by Black Creek Doodles
Facebook: Black Creek Doodles
Thank you for the help!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
No experience with this breeder, but I'd give a hard pass.

Reasons:

1. The sires have herding dog in there, somewhere, putting your puppy into the risk factor of inheriting MDR1. How do I know? Merle does not pop up in poodles and cavaliers "just because." The parent breed clubs of both also do not recognize merle as part of their breeds' color (at.least last I looked).

2. Those are a lot of back-to-back litters. Yes, they are rotating through females, but it makes me question how much of the critical early socialization and handling they are doing. Where do they have the time to work, live, care for the adults, and balance
5 litters of differing developmental levels? How are they preparing the puppies for.coming into.your home? Handling,.nail, car rides, etc.?And yes, I did read their page on ENS.

3. This might not be the case, but typically, importing dogs from Europe can be a red flag.

4. I'm not going to lie, I really don't like that it looks like they're hiding several of their dogs. Did you know they are claiming to also breed Golden mixes and whatever the "sheep" in a sheepadoodle as well?

5. Some.of their "facts" about grooming, why they crossed, and what to expect are wrong or not fully true. Grooming will need to.be more frequent than 2-3 months. Mixing in a.poodle does.not eliminate cav health issues. Or guarantee a.low to none shed coat. You might get a dog that has a poodle.top coat and a shedding undercoat with fur that gets caught in the top coat.

If you insist (and I really hope you don't)

1. What are the parents doing besides being pets? What guarantees excellent temperaments? Therapy work, a Canine Good Citizen title?

2. I'd want to meet the parents, on the premises. Can't happen? Digital.copies of their genetic health test results. Pictures of the ribbons and titles they won in Europe.

3. A way to get in touch with past puppy buyers. Ones with dogs older than 2, so you can see temperament and health past the health guarantee and the news puppy glow.

·
Registered
837 Posts
ETA: It's.not guaranteed that there is herding dog in there. The pattern has a few different names in a few different breeds. But, herding dogs are the most popular and carry the MDR1 risk. Which is an autosomal incomplete dominant mutation, so.only one copy is needed.

·
Super Moderator
7,248 Posts
It's a puppy mill, pure and simple.

This, for example, is nonsense ~

The Cavalier King Charles is among the top shedders and is known to have some health problems. Mixing them with the Poodle results in a gorgeous, healthy dog with Cavalier qualities in a low to non-shed coat.

You simply don't get rid of health problems (or shedding) by crossbreeding. Genetics is just not that simple. A friend uses a nice analogy to explain this. If you wanted to create a stew that had no carrots, but your starting point was one stew with carrots and one without, by mixing the two you will still have portions that contain carrots. It's only after selecting the portions with fewest carrots and many, many more mixes that you eliminate the carrots. And that's how breeding out genetic health problems works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts