Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

By any odd chance, has anyone had experience with Black Aron Kennel from Serbia?

I've bought a CRT from them that died the same week and they then sent me another CRT that was and still is extremely fearful and aggressive toward other people and dogs. When dogs are trying to play with her she runs off literally screaming in the opposite direction. More importantly, she tried to bite a parent of my gf the same week of her arrival and that wasn't the only time she was biting the air toward a person.

I hope you wont mind a link but I've explained my situation in detail on: (on a page I'm not allowed to link to at this time)

We are not new to dogs but we never had a 3 month old puppy that was that scared and aggressive. Can someone tell me what could possibly be the reason of this? Kennel itself is ignoring me at this point pretty much. She couldn't have possibly been born like that..

Thank you very much for any possible tips!

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
There are some studies that indicate stress in a bitch during pregnancy impacts on the temperament of puppies. The fact one died and the second one is as you describe raises some red flags about the breeding. I don't honestly know much about the breed, but she sound like an anxious pup. I'm not sure if you are looking for advice on helping her confidence or if that's something you are looking into yourself and you just want to know about the breeder?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are some studies that indicate stress in a bitch during pregnancy impacts on the temperament of puppies. The fact one died and the second one is as you describe raises some red flags about the breeding. I don't honestly know much about the breed, but she sound like an anxious pup. I'm not sure if you are looking for advice on helping her confidence or if that's something you are looking into yourself and you just want to know about the breeder?
You've made interesting points, appreciate it. In either case we have a hard road ahead with her, she is 1 year and 3 months old now so we've been with her for a while now. She has improved a lot, but behavior is still there. Lets say that so far we've reduced that behavior down to say 40% of what it was, for most of its aspects.

I would really love to hear from other owners that bought dogs from Black Aron Kennel. Perhaps they'll be able to find the post via Google eventually and share a comment on it.

But if anyone has any tips, please do share. But pretty much know what's ahead of us. Such extreme characters in dogs have interesting sides to them. She is extremely tied and loving with us. But for strangers she is uptight and on the edge of biting them. But she is better now at least..

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
For people's safety, and hers, have you considered muzzle training her? If you take it gently there's no reason for her not to accept it (squeezy cheese smeared on it would help too).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone raised another point that perhaps overbreeding the dogs could add to the problems. But they're in Serbia so I do not know what they're doing so am just guessing. Kennel owner is just babbling to cover for herself and isn't telling me anything useful. Her tip was to show her love.. which is a precious advice

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For people's safety, and hers, have you considered muzzle training her? If you take it gently there's no reason for her not to accept it (squeezy cheese smeared on it would help too).

I hope it wont come to that but indeed is something we have to consider before it is too late.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can I ask where are you located and why buy a dog from Serbia? Its not a country known as a huge promoter of animal welfare.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a dog who came to us at 7 weeks and developed aggression issues, mostly around resource guarding but also occasionally with strangers. I know quite a lot about his upbringing beforehand and there was nothing unusual there. Behaviourists confirmed that it was nothing that I had done and he was just hardwired that way. So it can happen.

He's much better now but always wears a muzzle outside the house to be on the safe side. He is absolutely accepting of it and it doesn't affect his enjoyment at all... apart from finding it harder to nick other dogs' balls ;) Almost everyone we meet assume he wears it because he eats things he shouldn't and if I explain that he is scared of children and could bite one that rushed up to hug him, they thank me for being responsible - I've never had anyone accuse me of owning a vicious dog that shouldn't be out in public. So please don't think of a muzzle as a last resort - it can make you a lot more relaxed, which will convey itself to your dog. You do need one that she can pant in and drink through, though, not one that holds her mouth closed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I ask where are you located and why buy a dog from Serbia? Its not a country known as a huge promoter of animal welfare.....
I'm from Croatia myself. We have only 2-3 kennels that work with CRTs in Croatia and no puppies were available or would be available any time soon. I bought my first CRT from another kennel in Serbia as well but we drove there to select and pick it up. That CRT is the best dog in, at least my, world. With that positive experience I rushed into purchasing another CRT from another kennel that had em available with only a few months wait, and then got into the mentioned situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a dog who came to us at 7 weeks and developed aggression issues, mostly around resource guarding but also occasionally with strangers. I know quite a lot about his upbringing beforehand and there was nothing unusual there. Behaviourists confirmed that it was nothing that I had done and he was just hardwired that way. So it can happen.

He's much better now but always wears a muzzle outside the house to be on the safe side. He is absolutely accepting of it and it doesn't affect his enjoyment at all... apart from finding it harder to nick other dogs' balls ;) Almost everyone we meet assume he wears it because he eats things he shouldn't and if I explain that he is scared of children and could bite one that rushed up to hug him, they thank me for being responsible - I've never had anyone accuse me of owning a vicious dog that shouldn't be out in public. So please don't think of a muzzle as a last resort - it can make you a lot more relaxed, which will convey itself to your dog. You do need one that she can pant in and drink through, though, not one that holds her mouth closed.
I am perhaps foolishly expecting that we can put our dog in order before she puts herself and ourselves in trouble. She is a calmer dog now, but there's more work ahead of us. Never had to use muzzles and always had dogs. But that doesn't help of course being that currently we may have to consider it. Girlfriend would not want to have to use it on her. Which may be the biggest problem there. So eh.. I hear you on being relaxed outside. She does make me tense when I see someone wanting to pet her or needs to stand close to her, like say in an elevator.. so we end up making each other edgy probably..

What dog do you have? Glad to hear you worked the issue out.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
Muzzles have a reputation for some reason but actually they I think all dogs should be trained for that 'just in case' time. I trained my dog 18 months ago because we were going on a ferry and for the 5 minutes between car and cabin, and the 5 minutes back, muzzles were mandatory. It really wasn't a drama.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What dog do you have? Glad to hear you worked the issue out.
He's a lurcher - aggression problems are very unusual in lurchers if they've not come from abusive backgrounds. My best guess is that he has the typical very sensitive sighthound genes, but also has some Irish terrier in his mix as well - the former freaks out, the latter steps in... Either that or his mum dropped him on his head at some point.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ok I suppose you being in Croatia makes more sense for getting a dog from Serbia. I cant comment on the kennel you mention but I have heard some bad things about other Serbian breeders and kennels willing to break EU law when selling dogs onto other EU countries.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I suppose you being in Croatia makes more sense for getting a dog from Serbia. I cant comment on the kennel you mention but I have heard some bad things about other Serbian breeders and kennels willing to break EU law when selling dogs onto other EU countries.
I'm used to different names for breeds hehe, but yeah aware of them. Yes can't say I heard anything poorly of em ever. Well lucky us xD

Russian Black Terriers are Stalin's failed army dogs, or so they say. Supposedly they failed because they couldn't make a vicious dog out of em. But hey there's my puppy to mix it into the story.. but she is just scared. I should seriously record her playing with other dogs. She runs and chases other dogs playfully, but whenever another dog then turns to chase her she screams and shoots off like you've never heard or seen. Lets say it's the worst dog scream you can ever hear. Doesn't go worse or louder then that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It might help your girlfriend to accept the muzzle if you explain that one day the dog might need attention from a vet that they don’t know and a muzzle will help them to be treated without risk to the vet. I think that are a great tool for most dogs in a range of situations and are often a part of responsible dog ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m so sorry for your experience.
Puppies can absolutely be born with high anxiety. It can be the result of poor breeding and also experiences at the kennel (pre or post birth).
I would highly recommend partnering with a Veterinary Behaviorist ASAP. First you want to rule out any medical concerns and then hopefully work on building confidence. Make sure they only practice force free / positive reinforcement methods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m so sorry for your experience.
Puppies can absolutely be born with high anxiety. It can be the result of poor breeding and also experiences at the kennel (pre or post birth).
I would highly recommend partnering with a Veterinary Behaviorist ASAP. First you want to rule out any medical concerns and then hopefully work on building confidence. Make sure they only practice force free / positive reinforcement methods.
Thank you. But I don't think there's behaviorist veterinarians here man. At least I've never heard we have em

·
Super Moderator
10,735 Posts
I'm one that does not have any vet behaviorist, or behaviorist, that work with fearful dogs within a 3 hour drive of me, so they are pretty much out, and the last thing I want is for just anyone to work with my dog and make his behavior worse. What I ended up doing was joining the Reactive Dogs face book page. There are people on there that specialize working with dogs that are fear reactive and they can help you learn to work with your dog using techniques that are science based and not punishment based. Another great resource is www.careforreactivedogs.com It is highly recommended by the reactive dog group on FB . Between those two I've managed to help my boy overcome a lot of his fear aggression. No, he's not perfect, and is still a bit reactive, but compared to when I started working with him it's amazing. What you'll be doing is working to change how your dog feels about the people and dogs he fears he'll learn that they cause good things to happen to him. The other way to do it is to teach him to not react, but he'll still feel the same and sooner or later you'll have a dog that starts biting without any warning.

Also, if you think she's going to bite someone PLEASE teach her to wear a muzzle. Here's a link that explains www.muzzleupproject.com . It will help in the beginning because you'll be able to work with her and not have to worry about her biting someone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts