Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is my beautiful dog, Guinness, mixed with?

When I first adopted him from a friend, I was told he was a hound/collie mix.

I don't think there is any collie in him at all! I think he is a black and tan coonhound, mixed with a treeing walker coonhound.

What do you guys think?? I'd really appreciate your help, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a DNA test. It's really nice to know what breeds he is/ is mixed with to better understand what diseases he may be prone to, etc, etc.

This is my first post by the way, my name is Joey! Hope to see some messages from you all soon :)

PS he turns 9 months old on March 18th 2013, weighs 60 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Gorgeous boy you've got :)

Doberman or German shepherd's my best guess

Although I will say, I think part of the fun with mixes is not knowing what they are - they're their own dog :)

Prob watch for hip dysplasia, bloat and cancer - and keep those big ears clean
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh and even if you had him DNA tested or paneled, it's still not a 100 percent guarante on his mix. Apparently you can demand your money back if it's too off though don't hold me on that
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive been doing more research.

may have phased out the coonhound completely.

Anyone think he is a BEAGLE/ GERMAN SHEPHERD mix???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitely think he is part Black Mouth Cur. Hadn't heard of this breed until we adopted a dog from the shelter and our vet figured it out. She loves to "tree squirrels"! She also liked jumping over our 6 foot fence until I fattened her up enough that she couldn't get over!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Joey, your dog is probably close to all coonhound. Sometimes they lean more to the American Foxhound portion of the breed which explains the white belly and shorter ears. My Bongo who my wife brought home from Colombia, looks exactly like your furry one. Great dog. It is not uncommon for hypothyroid issues. Have you had any problems with low functioning thyroid? We were lucky to finally receive a diagnosis and accurate treatment for Bongo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog looks like yours

Hi Joey,

I just came upon this post. My dog looks exactly like yours. I was told she is a black and tan coonhound Doberman mix. Was wondering if you ever got the DNA test.

Jennifer

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
Back and tan coonhounds have ponderous ears. Treeing walkers have ears that are a tad longer than a foxhound to almost as long as a black and tan coonhound.

Your dog has ears that are foxhound length, which to me eliminates the black and tan x walker.

Don't waste money on a DNA test, it won't tell you anything, too many breeds are composed of other breeds and no way the test can really tell the difference.

What you have is a HOUND. Full stop. Don't waste your efforts beyond that, as there are hundreds of combinations of hound x some other breed that could result in a dog that looks just like yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
might have same dog lol

i know this post is over a year old for you all. but i recently got a puppy and have been trying to see what she is mixed with. i have been told beagle hound but my dog looks almost identical to yours. she is 3.5 months and is still pretty small so I'm wondering if she has beagle. many people ask me if she is a german shepherd bc her colors resemble a german so much. if you all are still out there i will post pics so you guys can see. beautiful dog you have by the way lol thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Walker coonhound

I know this thread is old but I wouldn't rule out the walker coonhound. My Allie is truly only these breeds because one I know the the ppl I got her from and I saw her parents. The mother was all walker and the sire was a coonhound mix. This is my girl as a puppy and now as an adult. Sooo beautiful haha that face has saved her from soooo much trouble 😉. Your dog looks so similar to mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Id say a hound shepherd mix. Possibly German Shepherd, as for the hound I would say one of the lankier hounds, like treeing walker coonhounds or beagles. He deffinitly has hound in her though, but not full. He's very cute though :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our Dogs are Twins

I've been trying to figure out what our rescue is and in google image search I found one of your pup's pictures which at first I thought was a picture of my own pup! In disbelief how alike they look. Shelter told us she was a shepherd mix, but I really don't think they had any idea. She had been transferred there with her brothers, neither of which looked much like her, but do look like a Black Mouth Cur (as someone pointed out in an earlier comment).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The last pup does not look like it has hound ears, more like German Shepherd cross as they are partially standing in the pictures. I would say probably Shepherd Lab cross.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts