Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old standard poodle has just started spinning in circles chasing his tail continously. He even bites chunks of hair off his tail and his bum. He cries and becomes aggressive when he gets in that phase. Although he is on anti inflammatory and pain killers to help, it hasn't changed anything. Has anyone ever seen something like this?

·
Super Moderator
4,373 Posts
If he is on anti inflammatories and pain meds, does that mean he has seen a vet? What do they think?

The first thing I thought was anal glands but surely a vet would have checked that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If he is on anti inflammatories and pain meds, does that mean he has seen a vet? What do they think?

The first thing I thought was anal glands but surely a vet would have checked that?
Yes we went to see a vet twice. The first time, they checked his anal glands and drained them. Nonetheless, the behaviour continued. We went a second time and there was no real diagnosis but she considered it might be limper tail

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Obviously if you have seen a vet and had your pups anal glands drained and been given anti-inflammatories and painkillers yet that behaviour continues then there is something wrong.
It's not just bad for you it's driving your pup mad I hate to say it but you need a second opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yes he has seen a vet twice. First time, they drained his anal glands but the behaviour continued. Second time, they prescribed gabapentin and deramaxx. The vet considers it being limper tail but there is no definitive diagnosis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Obviously if you have seen a vet and had your pups anal glands drained and been given anti-inflammatories and painkillers yet that behaviour continues then there is something wrong.
It's not just bad for you it's driving your pup mad I hate to say it but you need a second opinion.
Yes, it's a major source of stress for me and for the dog. He is in discomfort even though he is on meds. I've noticed that it starts again as soon as the meds were off (about 8 hours after he takes both pills). I will follow up with the vet and try getting another consult with someone else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
okay..is he also licking his paws or only biting his tail? might have an environmental allergy in case you have recently painted or remodeled your house...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay..is he also licking his paws or only biting his tail? might have an environmental allergy in case you have recently painted or remodeled your house...
No, he is only bitting his tail and bum. He rips his fur out though which is concerning. It might be an environmental allergy due to seasonal changes (it just started snowing here) but its doubtful. My house wasn't ben remodelled or anything of that nature.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just as thought... you mentioned he had been on the same food for two years.
Dogs can develop sensitivities to their food over time, perhaps consider a change in diet and see if it helps? If you should decide to go this route try to find a food that is as different in ingredients from the one you are feeding as you can, and with as few ingredients as possible (a limited ingredient diet).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just as thought... you mentioned he had been on the same food for two years.
Dogs can develop sensitivities to their food over time, perhaps consider a change in diet and see if it helps? If you should decide to go this route try to find a food that is as different in ingredients from the one you are feeding as you can, and with as few ingredients as possible (a limited ingredient diet).
Yes, I was considering going back to a more "clean diet". Less treats and more of the same foods. I will see if it helps. Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts