Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet student friend Abby came over to meet the Bit today and we learned a few interesting things!

The Bit’s ear canals are malformed! I knew they looked off, but I wasn’t sure how off they were. It’s almost like they don’t L, they just \ straight down into her little noggin. We’re going to see if there’s a vet that would be interested in examining them further so we can figure out what specifically is so off.

Secondly, the Bit likely has no vision at all. I had thought she may had have some vision but after her being unable to find her flashy light-up ball in the dark I wondered if maybe she was compensating really well. Neither of the Bit’s pupils react to light at all, and it looks like what we had thought was movement tracking is actually nystagmus, which makes it even less likely that she has vision.

I am blown away that the Bitsle Bird is able to compensate well enough with just her senses of smell and touch to fool us all into thinking she can see! What an amazing little critter!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bit seems like a very cute and very smart dog:thumbsup: Dogs (and mostly all animals who have a good sense of smell and senses) can be able to know where certain things are with only their smell, as Bit was doing. I am sorry about how she has a ear canal malformed and doesn't really have vision:eek::(. I hope the vet can do something to make her better:eek: Good luck:huddle:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, there's nothing the vet can do, we are just curious about what specifically is off with her ears! They look super wonky but without equipment and someone who REALLY knows dog ears we don't know what specifically is up with them. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts