Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 3 month old tibeatn mastiff is constantly biting when he plays or tugs at my pant legs when i walk around, its not that he is aggressive, he likes to play that way, but his teeth are sharp n they draw blood. will he stop biting when teething stops?? i have tried the yelping and withdrawing from play method, or holding his muzzle or giving him toys or treats to distract him, but nothing works. help

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Eyn and welcome to the dog forum!
You certainly are trying and it sounds like you are on the right track. I'd just keep at it- consistancy is they key. He sounds very determined. The only think I can think you might want to try is to get squirt bottle and squirt him when he goes for a pant leg. Use a strong "Out" or "Leave it command" and then ignore him. I've used this in the past and it worked for me.
Also when he bites when he plays, use a strong "out" or "leave it" and withdraw and ignore him completely. If he comes back again "Leave it" and ignore him. It may take a discouraging word/tone for him to understand that he has crossed the line. Also avoid playing tug with him.
Lastly, I also would enroll in obedience classes ASAP with him.
Hope this helps you out a little-you sound like you know what to do. PLease keep us posted to how he does and if you have pic pleae post them! We'd love to see him!
Best of Luck to you!
GG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts