Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
My dog is driving me crazy!! He's 7 months old, and every time I leave the house, I come home to a surprise. Either he eats a shoe, the remote, the trash can, internet cords. I don't know what to do, I try to "dog proof" the house every time I leave, but it doesn't seem to be enough, he chews whatever is on his sight.
He has a lot of our attention while we are at home, and he is not left alone for long periods of time. He has his chewing toys and everything. HELP please.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I would not leave him loose in the house when you are not there. He is to young to be trusted..:) That is giving him the okay to have fun while you are gone. Kennel him or baby gate him in a safe room with plenty of toys.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I have to put Sam in his crate when I have to leave for a couple hrs, if I didn't I am sure I would come home to God knows what, I just don't want to give him a chance to get into trouble.
As others have mentioned in different threads, fill a kong with peanut butter, freeze it, give to him when you have to leave in his crate. Helps prevent boredom.

Good luck.
C~

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
First off, none of those things should be available to him if he is loose. I know you're doing your best but if there isn't a room where it can be really dog proofed, then crate. We personally never used one but I know that if you do choose to use it, make sure you make it a positive thing. Never use it as punishment.

We use our bedroom for Nyla when we go to work. We've had to adjust things as she's grown and gotten taller but ALL is puppy proofed. Nightstands are empty, remotes, etc is all put in drawers every morning before we leave. No wires are available to her. The plug for the tv and cable is behind a heavy dresser that she cannot get past. It's tile, so no carpets, etc. We also used bitter apple spray on areas she seemed a little too interested in and she's left them alone. A bunch of toys, her water, food and a yummy puppy kong filled with stuff.
It works for us and she's been great.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
A crate is your friend.

Most dogs still need to be crated while owners are away at this age.

Our female setter, Tessa, still was crated until almost 2 years old.
On the other hand, we had another dog that was reliable loose in the house at under a year old.
Pups are like kids... all different. ;)

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
EEK! Crate. Our catahoula ate a 6 foot fake palm tree, complete with lights!!! Two remotes, Cole Hahn shoes (new), and 12 inches off the bottom of my bedroom door, if you value your home,,,,,crate. There are stickeys on DF you can look at too, check out anxiety disorder also...

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Yes, Chloe left the couch untouched....only because she lies on it!!! Thankfully she is past that stage now. Addison....wellll...she is basically our special needs dog...she can't invoke our frustration at any thing she does....she is so clueless, but that's why we love her so much. She is afraid of the sound of a paper bag. But hey, fireworks, no problem!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts