Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

While I have had multiple dogs I have never had a bitch go through heat. I signed an agreement with her breeder saying I would wait to have her spayed.

So now its been a week of bleeding. One of my male dogs (neutered) had to be yelled at to stop grooming her ears so much.

What else should I expect? She is one of four. (Two girls two boys)
She has been SOOOOO clingy. (Lays on my feet whe I try to pee)

I have googled plenty but so far I have not seem much thats been realistic and helpful.

When will the bleeding stop? Is her attitude going to get worse ?

·
Registered
745 Posts
So shouting isnt going to help things, I would suggest you tell your dog nicely to stop grooming her, remember dogs can hear you extremely well! Secondly, as a woman I have alot of empathy for her as I understand her clingy needy phase & see it more as a loving cuddly phase. She needs you to be there for her by providing more cuddles. There is also a phase of hyper & anxiety fretting etc as she will want to get out & find a hot dog in tact! So make sure she doesnt get a chance to escape. Beware that dogs that don't usually jump can become olympic hurdle jumpers aiming for gold during this time. 😄There also could be some inapropriate displays of passion, it's important to have strict rules about this without telling her off (just use the same volume & repeat). I show her what she's allowed after whats not allowed. It's only natural so dont make her feel bad. I don't allow any leg humping on humans but she is allowed to do it on her fluffy cushion. ☺ She knows the rules as she's four. The boy dogs may have to be seperated from her at times if they too are sexually harassing her.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Just remember that when the bleeding stops, that is when she will stand for any male and get bred. You should wait at least two weeks after they are bleeding and sometimes longer as they are not all the same. Even the neutered male will try and breed her and can and although he cannot produce any pups it will be scary for both of them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Why did you need to sign to wait to have her spayed? Is that supposed to be beneficial in some way? All I've heard is the opposite.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Waiting until they are fully grown is healthier, since they need those growth hormones. Waiting until at least after the second heat is ideal.

I talked to 4 vets when I got my puppy and all of them said that it's better to get spayed before first heat. They said chances of cancer are higher each time they have a heat and that they live longer and healthier lives in general if they're fixed. You should do some research of your own and ask a vet yourself.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I talked to 4 vets when I got my puppy and all of them said that it's better to get spayed before first heat. They said chances of cancer are higher each time they have a heat and that they live longer and healthier lives in general if they're fixed. You should do some research of your own and ask a vet yourself.
I'm well aware. Vets will day this, just like they say Purina is the best. The sooner they do it, the sooner they make their money. Dogs need the hormones for healthy growth, period. There are actually more health benefits to later spay/neuter than early. Fixing is fine if you want to, but wait until grown so the hormones can complete their jobs... They are there for a reason.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I tried to edit my post, but couldnt. Did your vet tell you about these risks to spaying/neutering early?
1)Linked to joint disease
2)linked to hip dysplasia
3)increases the risk of cruciate ligament tears
4)higher risk of lymphosarcoma in males under a year
5)later spay dramatically lowers the risk of mast cell tuners
6)early spay increases the risk of ALL cancers by 61/2 times
7)early spay increases chances of behavior changes.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them right off. A vet isn't going to tell you any of this...These are all proven facts.

·
Registered
745 Posts
yeah dogs that are speyed have a slower metabolism leading to weight gain & loads of horrible problems related to that like diabetes. They can also pee everywhere as hormones develope the bladder & control of it. Hormones give a little dog a deeper bark, speying early you can be stuck with an annoying yap. Dogs are getting cancer that have been speyed from their genetics, environment, stress, food etc. You cant eliminate all those. Frightening people into speying dogs over ovarian cancer is just scare tactics to prevent too many unwanted pups. If my dog gets cancer, I'll deal with it then like I did when I got cancer in my cervix. I am fine now I used to beleive something was wrong with me & I got it. After extensive research on beating cancer, I started to beleive I was just fine, normal & it stopped growing back. I beleive in the power of positive thinking & my dog is fine the way she was made. She regulates her own food intake, free feeding I hear its called - well its definately not free 4 me!😀 I would not be able to free feed if she was speyed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts