Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ... earlier this week I went down to our county shelter to donate a bunch of old bedding some of which was mine and some of which I bought at good will. Though we are in Arizona so it does not get really cold by other peoples standards it does get chilly. Our local county shelter is a series of cement boxes and they don't have a lot of extra money so a lot of times dogs are just forced to lay on the cold cement floors. Not so much of a big deal for the bigger fluffy dogs but can get awfully bad for the tiny short haired ones.

Anyway being there I of course did a walk through - because I'm obviously not too bright.

There in one of the kennels, packed in with about six other small dogs was an obviously purebred Italian greyhound. They had him listed as a whippet mix but anyone with any sight hound experience could easily see that he was not.

He was huddled in the back, shaking, terribly thin (even for a sight hound) and coughing up a storm with kennel cough.

He was obviously not doing well in shelter life. Growling and pulling away from people, extremely stressed out. So of course I brought him home.

He is on antibiotics for his cough. He was very interested in food the first day we brought him home but then stopped eating for two days. Was pretty concerned but the antibiotics kicked in and now he is inhaling everything offered to him (feeding him 5-6 smaller meals a day right now)

He loves people, adores the other dogs (especially Amelia) and is starting to play with toys now. He is also comfortable enough that he is trying to get into the garbage and trying to counter surf! So we'll be adding "basic manners" to the list of things to do before I start a home search.

·
Registered
495 Posts
He's adorable! I'm glad he's fitting in well with your dogs! I would love to cuddle with him. Italian Greyhounds always look like such sweethearts. I know they can't all be, but they all look it.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Awwwwww! He's melting my heart, he's super cute. That right there is the reason I can't go into shelters. It's bad enough they post pictures online...

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Oh he's pretty cute! I am sure once he's spent some time with you he will have no trouble getting adopted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That's the largest Iggie I've ever seen O____O He's precious though, and I love his name (reminds me of Aliens XD).

Do his ears flop like the usual sighthound? It could be his mood for the photos, but he has some pretty erect ears for your typical Iggie OR Whippet.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Larkspur he has pricked ears - which is a fault in the show ring but is often seen in I.G's anyway.

He is on the larger size for an I.G but not out of standard as they can weigh between 8-18lbs and up to 15 inches at the withers. Lots of people are breeding them smaller but I actually prefer the bigger ones as they are far less likely to break themselves!

He would not be winning any prizes in the show ring but I really like the pricked ears.

Since he is crate trained, good with other dogs, afraid of cats, loves kids, and is 80% potty trained (will not have accidents as long as you let him out regularly) I do not think it will be hard to find him a family. I just want to find him a family with sight hound experience since he has a lot of the typical traits that might weird out people.

·
Registered
290 Posts
@K9Chaos - Yeah the really tiny ones always make me feel uncomfortable because they look so fragile (and probably are). The ears are cute. I LOVE huge, erect ears. It almost makes him look a little bit like an Ibizan or Basenji XD

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Everyone,

Okay so we've decided we need to change Bishops name. Not that I don't like the name but having two "B" dogs is confusing the house hold!

Anyone have any suggestions? I tend to lean towards odd, old fashion, British names!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Hmmmm. He could be a Walter! Fletcher? Rupert?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Shandula I love the name Rupert! unfortunately it is the name of our blue tongued skink (lizard). So far hubby has pretty much disliked everything I have suggested. I was rooting for Norbert but he made fun of me!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Awwww! Hm, what about Norman?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We seem to have settled on MacGuffin (or as my kids call him Guffin' The Muffin')

It is a cinematic term to describe a thing to help move the plot along with no real narrative explanation.

He has no real narrative explanation :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts