Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My great dane/ Alaskan malamute mix mutt got hurt on his back (left i think) leg. I was only able to get a couple of pictures of it because he was sleeping. He is a very big boy and gets really nervous when people touch his back legs.

The wound isn't very big or deep, but he does have some scabbed over skin. that looked a big gnarly. Duke isnt limping or walking on his leg any differently, so im not super worried about it, but i was wondering if there was anything i could/should do.
i cant take him to the vet due to financial situation and i dont think it's needed either. I will post photos from my phone as soon as i can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I wouldn't worry myself about it. Just keep it clean and keep an eye on it. It should heal up on its own, but I might be wrong so anyone can feel free to correct me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts

·
Registered
Gary - Purebred Mutt
Joined
·
401 Posts
I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Doesn't look to bad though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
My great dane/ Alaskan malamute mix mutt got hurt on his back (left i think) leg. I was only able to get a couple of pictures of it because he was sleeping. He is a very big boy and gets really nervous when people touch his back legs.

The wound isn't very big or deep, but he does have some scabbed over skin. that looked a big gnarly. Duke isnt limping or walking on his leg any differently, so im not super worried about it, but i was wondering if there was anything i could/should do.
i cant take him to the vet due to financial situation and i dont think it's needed either. I will post photos from my phone as soon as i can.
If you have some polysporin handy, put a dab of that on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
If you have some polysporin handy, put a dab of that on it.
My vet always says never to put things like that on an open wound. For one thing the dog will lick it off and it is poisonous if taken internally. for another thing it doesn't help the wound to heal. Best just to keep it clean with a saline solution or even just plain water and let it heal on its own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
My vet always says never to put things like that on an open wound. For one thing the dog will lick it off and it is poisonous if taken internally. for another thing it doesn't help the wound to heal. Best just to keep it clean with a saline solution or even just plain water and let it heal on its own.
It is NOT poisonous. It may cause allergic reaction in some dogs but have not seen that in 35 years of practice. Sounds like you have a vet that likes to take advantage of the naïve to sell their own product.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
It is NOT poisonous. It may cause allergic reaction in some dogs but have not seen that in 35 years of practice. Sounds like you have a vet that likes to take advantage of the naïve to sell their own product.

Well, I am definitely not "naive", and it is a bit insulting for you to say that.

Also, I fail see any possible way that my vet would be taking advantage of someone by telling them NOT to buy any product, and instead just keep a wound clean with plain water! Or, saline solution, which you can make at home or purchase cheaply at a store, and which no vet I know of has for sale, let alone mine.

Different vets have different advice, and it doesn't mean that one of them is Wrong.

If that specific medication is not poisonous, then fine - I stand corrected.
But it has chemicals in it that I personally wouldn't want my dogs to ingest.
I err on the side of caution with my animals. Just keeping a minor wound clean and keeping an eye on it so I notice if it changes is always a safe thing to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
In all fairness to anyone asking for help they deserve accurate information.
I would suggest that it never hurts to check the facts when receiving (or offering) medical advice - especially on a forum where people's experiences/opinions may vary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
In all fairness to anyone asking for help they deserve accurate information.
I would suggest that it never hurts to check the facts when receiving (or offering) medical advice - especially on a forum where people's experiences/opinions may vary.
Very true. And the opinions of vets will vary as well. It is always the job of the individual to do their own fact checking and make their own best decisions. What I wrote comes from my vet, as I said, and not from me since I am not a vet or medical professional. Other vets may say different things, of course.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top