Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 year old Bichon mix wasn’t quite right and was vomiting a bit and was constipated. She has always been a fit healthy dog.

I went to a new vet as we recently moved and she did ultrasound and bloodwork and saw a large liver mass and possible smaller masses on kidney. Prognosis was dire and suggestion was to send home with prednisone shot and take daily laxative and prednisone pill and be prepared to say goodbye.

I called the next day and they gave me an enema, and we ordered a few pet enemas. A dear friend also made easily digested food.
Her vet visit was a week ago and she is now regular - no enema needed and seems very good.

I am prepared to say goodbye and have done this with other beloved dogs — all at age 13. This dog is age 14 and seems good. I don’t doubt at all that there is indeed a very large liver mass and I don’t want to pursue extending her wonderful life for my benefit.
Question - is this just a prednisone boost or could she live for a while comfortably with no treatment?
Anyone with a similar experience?

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
I'd say as long as she seems happy in herself and isn't uncomfortable, it's fine to hold on a little longer. But obviously be aware of any signs of deterioration and ready to act on these.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts