Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I adopted a Bichon, he's a lovely with me, so well behaved, knows how to travel in car, won't enter to a room if you don't want him to (though he's always welcome) don't hmm pee or poo inside the house, he's really smart and loves doing tricks but what he loves the most is being hold in arms and lying next to you in the sofa. He arrived malnourished, dirty, with his skin irritated and with an infection in both eyes, the vet has already checked him. He's already taking treatment.

And in the other side I have my rattie, I have him since I was 8 now I'm 18 and he's a pampered dog, he gets inside of any room whenever he wants to, he's so energetic and he doesn't know how to travel in car, he loves to run, to catch, to chase, sleeps with blankets, his energy is neverending until he goes to sleep (though he won't sleep until I arrive home) and was the king of the house. Although he's really friendly with other pets, he was friends with my Akita, he's friendly with cats too. He's not trained but he understands when you give him orders.

The bichi is now an adult, I adopted him as an adult and everything was okay until we arrived home and he saw my rattie, he felt uncomfortable at first sight and didn't even want to get off the car, my rattie got near to him and tried to play with him but my new dog tried to bite him, nothing happened because he's fast.

Almost two weeks have passed and they still won't play together, in fact, the Bichon won't play sometimes (even alone) and goes to his bed and stays lied down, I'm worried about that.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It takes time for them to adjust as long as they are not trying to draw blood leave them to adjust to each other. The new dog was probably just trying to get your old one to back off if there was no blood involved in the bite. Watch and wait it took 3 months for my dogs to interact now they are best buds. The new dog may have never been around other dogs to learn how to play. Give it time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As Dawnben said , it takes time for a new dog to adjust to a new home and another dog . He must be feeling overwhelmed.
Do you know much about his previous life? he might not be used to other dogs and he might not know how to play or feel like playing at the moment.

Dogs will often snapped at other dogs to tell them to keep away.
Could you redirect your rattie away from him if he gets too over excited?
Also spend some quality time with your bichon away from your rattie, that will help him relax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts