Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tan/ white pure bread english cocker spaniel boy.

An owner was giving him away.
poor dog you could see the bone outlines even though the hair.
flees all over him, matted hair, ticks.
he is about one and a half years old.
really reserved hinting toward lack of socialization.
I just got all it's shots, im about to test it for heart-worms.

he does not cough (which is sometimes a sign of heartworms) but he breathes weird.
It's a fast short breath im hoping it's nothing serious i will take her to the vet t-morrow for heartworms & see if thats a problem.

If everything works out I will let her get use to my presence, and begin training her.

My only problem is I have never owned a dog like this.
my last dog i raised from birth perfect health till about 9 years old.
So im scared she might be damaged emotionally (and physically)

any comments will be smiles to :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
tan/ white pure bread english cocker spaniel boy.

An owner was giving him away.
poor dog you could see the bone outlines even though the hair.
flees all over him, matted hair, ticks.
he is about one and a half years old.
really reserved hinting toward lack of socialization.
I just got all it's shots, im about to test it for heart-worms.

he does not cough (which is sometimes a sign of heartworms) but he breathes weird.
It's a fast short breath im hoping it's nothing serious i will take her to the vet t-morrow for heartworms & see if thats a problem.

If everything works out I will let her get use to my presence, and begin training her.

My only problem is I have never owned a dog like this.
my last dog i raised from birth perfect health till about 9 years old.
So im scared she might be damaged emotionally (and physically)

any comments will be smiles to :D
Is it male or female? :)
Good luck with the dog. I'd like to see pictures when it's healthy again. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, i just found out he has separation anxiety.
he kept barking & winning outside (fenced in back yard no run or anything large back yard) i did not go out for like an hour & 30 min to see if he would stop, but he did not :(.

so i bought a medium sized kennel like object.

im scared to put him in my room because i have not been able to kill off his flee infestation fully, but i can put him in my kitchen, which is about 18-24ft away. he cant see me.

even if he barks or wine's can i ignore him? possibly make him realize that no one his coming teaching him not to bark? or... what? i dont want to put him in my room because of flees... what do i do! :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congrats on the new addition. If all is well with him are you going to be keeping him?

I'm not sure how to help you as I have never had this problem. Was he with other dogs where he was at? He does need to get used to being left alone definatly, I'm just not sure how to go about it without causing him to much stress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If all is well he will be my pet for a very long time.

I took him outside the second i woke up this morning, fed him, gave him water.
Then i went back inside he barked.
I tryed a few ways to make him stop
I went outside (he stoped barking) stoped right at the gate like i was going to open it, then walked back inside.
I lengthened the time between each go outside.
this did not help.
After a few other methods i realized he responded to the sound tsst real loud.
Because when i went to go get his food & crate another dog came up and i yelled tsst, my dog then backed up
i did this 2 times when he barked... he has not barked since, 15min which is a lot for what he has been doing.
He is still winning some, but that i don't care as much about that ( I have close neighbors).

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If you want it to stop you have to ignore it 100%...if you go outside make sure its when he's stopped barking, or else you reinforce it and he's more likely to do it again.

Lots of toys stuffed with yummy treats will help :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i post to much.

I took him to the vet, he tested positive for heartworms :( im going to start him on the slow treatment...because there is no way i can afford the fast treatment.
I took him home gave him some heart guard, let him inside so he does not get hot (because theres a chance he will die after first dose).
im hoping he does not die :(

nothing i have worried about till now, but when i first got him he did not drink, and he would not eat hard foods.

I got him caned chuncks (soft) that he would eat but he refuses to eat hard food.
He is reluctant to drink, he eventually does thou.
What worries me is that he was starved and he still is pretty much starved. Why would he refuse any food? is this normal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I invited my neighbors over :eyeroll:
dog was friendly...a bit too friendly

he wont follow me & i have to tug on her leash to make him come.
but he followed them everywere tail wagging.
I tried to see if he could play fetch, no...
but when the neighbor threw his toy he went & fetched it... and they played fetch for a while. :mad:"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts