Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering switching off purina puppy chow but I can't afford a lot for dog food. Right now we pay 11$ for a 16 pound bag and we still have over half a bag I bought last month but it's because she's a puppy I want better quality but not much more cost then what she is on now 4 health is 21$ for an 18 pound bag but when she gets older I can't afford 42$ a month on dog food that's twice the amount we pay now she does just fine on purina but I'm just looking into other options

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I know many do not like Purina or certain other brands. But if you feel your pup is doing well on Purina then don't change.

·
Registered
455 Posts
All the better quality foods will be more expensive, you get what you pay for. 4health is one of the less expensive ones. If you can find Purina One, I think it's called Purina One Simply 9 now, that is really good quality but less expensive, though still more than the puppy chow. Though I'm not sure if they have a puppy food.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally use natures select. It's an excellent dog food with a few options (grain free vs. not grain free) but all have no animal by products (which sometimes can be deceased animals picked up from pounds or road kill) or other ingredients you can't pronounce. I am now actually saving money on dog food, and I was previously trying to buy the best food I can for my dogs. I'm fortunate enough that I am willing and able to spend anything for my babies, but am by no means extravagant, I try to be frugal. Anyways I buy they're "beef" flavor which is made with dogs with food allergies in mind, although they have a more expensive one that's exclusively for dogs with food allergies. What I loved is the woman was upfront with all of this information. I spend $41 for a 30 pound bag, and keep in mind this food is concentrated with no fillers so your dog will actually eat less, but even if your dog didn't your spending $24 for an 18 pound bag if I'm not mistaken and this would be about the same for the amount of food. Just google natures select in Google and call the one that covers your city. They have free delivery and they're competition is blue buffalo which is $75 a bag. Natures balance is also good and can be found at petsomething or some grocery stores, but I don't know any of the specifics because I don't buy it. Hope that was helpful :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
oh it's actually called "Purina Beyond Simply 9."
I was mistaken. It used to be called Purina One Beyond, that's why I got confused.

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
I'm considering switching off purina puppy chow but I can't afford a lot for dog food. Right now we pay 11$ for a 16 pound bag and we still have over half a bag I bought last month but it's because she's a puppy I want better quality but not much more cost then what she is on now 4 health is 21$ for an 18 pound bag but when she gets older I can't afford 42$ a month on dog food that's twice the amount we pay now she does just fine on purina but I'm just looking into other options
Keep in mind that puppies actually tend to eat more than adults of the same size. Growing bodies and all!;) As she matures she shouldn't need quite so much!

She's a small or medium mixed breed right? Fwiw, a 27-28 lbs of higher protein grain free food lasts my 5 smaller dogs a month (they total 4.5 cups a day). I have no doubt that a similarly sized bag should last a single small to medium dog a month easy. Iirc 4 health sells in 30lbs bags for grain free and 35lbs bags for grain inclusive. They run something like $35-38 depending on variety and grain inclusive vs. grain free. It's often cheaper long run to buy the bigger bag than the smaller. So maybe consider just sticking with the current 4 health but buying the larger bags. Honestly, I'm not sure you're going to be able to do much better without an increase in budget. 4 Health is one of the better foods in your price range. :)

Otherwise websites like chewy.com often have good deals on great foods. Free shipping too on orders $50 and over. I often buy my foods there as do many other people here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.