Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pomeranian, Lulu doesn't like dogs, she doesn't bark at them (which is a first for a pom! lol) but just avoids them on her walks. My parents have a pom too called Toto and that's the only dog Lulu is ok with, but I think that's because Toto was a puppy when they got him and we all lived together at the time.

The problem is, my in-laws are getting a 6 year old spaniel. What is the best way to introduce the new dog? We see them often and we'll be the ones looking after the spaniel when they're on holiday etc so the dogs HAVE to at least be able to put up with one another. I want to start off in the right way but don't know what that is! Any advice? Or books that help?

Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
I say introduce off leash on neutral territory. I think that's usually best. Maybe include a pack walk first, where they are walking together but are not close enough to interact. Funny, I thought you wanted tips on how to introduce your dog to your mom at first. =P
Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I say introduce off leash on neutral territory. I think that's usually best. Maybe include a pack walk first, where they are walking together but are not close enough to interact. Funny, I thought you wanted tips on how to introduce your dog to your mom at first. =P
Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL yep it definitely says Pom not mom haha!

I think if my dog met with the spaniel in a park, my dog would just panic and walk as far from the spaniel as her lead will allow. Walking them both might work though, I'll definitely try that, thank you.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hi :wave: if I remember correctly, Victoria Stilwell did an episode concerning this problem. She had the dogs walked together but on leash, not too close to each other while treating both dogs, eventually bringing them closer over a period of time. Patience is needed though, as this may take several weeks for the spaniel to be trusted by your Pom.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Whatever you do, keep the dogs ON LEASH. That way you have something to grab incase a fight is about to break out. Personally, I would introduce the 2 at a wide open park a few feet away. I would start with Look at that game, giving treats each time each dog looks at one another; as this progresses I would slowly get closer. If everybody is relaxed, then I would drop the leash and let them greet. If not, then I would keep some space between the two and let them 'pack' walk (basically walking in the same direction, but remember to keep enough space between the two to keep both calm). After a little walk, decrease the buffer until they are close enough to greet nicely. If either look tense, back off and try again.

·
Registered
904 Posts
LOL yep it definitely says Pom not mom haha!

I think if my dog met with the spaniel in a park, my dog would just panic and walk as far from the spaniel as her lead will allow. Walking them both might work though, I'll definitely try that, thank you.
What I'd do is start the dogs at a far enough distance that your dog is comfortable, then gradually close the gap. My dog is quite dog reactive, and that's what I do if he needs to be in the company of other dogs. If I were to let him meet a dog too quickly, his combination of excitement and anxiety might cause him to 'snap', but if I take my time and let him relax things go much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.