Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We are looking into adopting our first puppy as a family soon, and am just wondering what people think is the easiest/best way to pick up dog poo from the garden? Do most people just use the bags, or is there a new amazing invention people use to make it easier? Haha im not that up to date, and the organisations often discuss health and care issues how to best clean up the poo hasn't come up yet! So what do people most recommend? Thanks! Sorry if I've asked this is the wrong place, I've just joined and rarely use forums..just learning the ropes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I use a small garden shovel for poop on the yard. I bought the shovel specifically for doggy turds, so it is only used for that one purpose. I put it all into a bucked and dispose of it. Bags would run out pretty quickly if I used them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I use this scooper and a grocery store plastic bag. I have a ton of bags, I save them. For walks I have poop bags. I clean the yard anywhere from every two three days to once a week. The good thing with raw fed dog poop is that it disintegrates in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Pooper Scooper is usually the easiest in the yard, and empty it into a trash bag or bin. There are styles other than Anna posted that have a pan and scraper as well. On walks the little baggies are easiest.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The pooper scooper I use - there is one part that has a flat tray at the end of a long wooden handle and the other part has a scraper at the end of a long wood handle...kind of like a hoe...that you use to push the stuff into the flat tray part.

Once I get the tray full, I dump it into a bucket as I work my way through the yard...then that bucket gets dumped into a cess pool I had dug a few summers ago. I have large dogs and the cess pool doesn't work in the winter...so spring clean up is quite the chore.

I made my cess pit by digging a hole, adding some rocks to the bottom to help drainage and inserting a large plastic garbage can with holes drilled into to it and the bottom sawed off into the hole to sleeve the pit.
So far I've been very happy with the way it's composted the poo.

For smaller dogs it would be super easy to dig a pit. A person could probably use a 3 to 5 gallon bucket to sleeve the pit. The pit I had dug was much harder due to it's depth.

Check out YouTube for videos on how to do a small doggy cess pit. What's nice about it, is no packing sacks of poo over to garbage cans around the other side of the house or whatever, and an $10.00 bottle of cess pit bacteria will treat like 300 gallons and so it only takes a super small amount to keep the bacteria going in the pit.

There are sleeves that can be purchased but they run anywhere from $35 to $60 dollars and you still have to dig the hole. It's cheaper to just buy a bucket or garbage can and drill holes in it and saw the bottoms off and make one that way.
I found a metal lid to cover the large hole, the lid use to be the bottom of a metal oil drum, finding a lid for a smaller pit should be fairly easy.

Stormy
Edit to add: This is just 1 video of a home made composter...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8dnnL6DtrU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts