Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of adopting a dog (!), but need some advice about crate models and sizing. My spaniels growing up were only ever crated as puppies, just until they were housetrained, and really only at night. The advantages of a parent that works from home. However, I do not have that good fortune and need to crate this dog until I'm sure he's fully housetrained and won't chew anything. He's a 2 or 3 year old (so fully grown) possibly beagle mystery mix (he is the size and similar shape to a beagle, totally different coloring though. Around 35 lbs).

What type of crate and size would you guys recommend? I've been browsing through online catalogs, but would love some imput. They all seem super similar, hard to tell what the best is...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've always used the wire crates because it allows my dog to be able to see from all directions. If you need or want to create a calmer environment you can always cover the create with a blanket too. Rule for size is the crate should allow the dog to lie down and turn around while in the crate.
I've kept my dogs crate up long after they were both housebroken and the door remains open. At times either dog will go to their crate on their own even though they have full access to my house.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I like the wire ones because they are cooler in summer, you can throw a blanket over the sides to create a cave and (best of all) they're collapsible! However, the solid ones can go on planes and some dogs simply like them better.

Also, I like the two-door variety since I tend to move my crate around around and this gives me more options of where to put it. I have an iCrate, and it's worked great.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have a plastic travel crate. My pup just likes it better then the wire ones (I tried the blanket thing and she pulled it in).

·
Registered
472 Posts
i have a wire 2 door crate, and as idealistinfire stated, it gives me more options, since its 46"x30", i need options. And like stated already, the door comes off, and with a blanket, it's a dog cave. It's Rocky's favorite place to sleep.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have wire crates for all three of mine. My lab girlie is 41lbs and about 20ins at the shoulder and has a 30"(L)x21"(W)x24"(H) crate. It works for her but I find it a tad cramped when she stands up and if I were able to I would get her a 36"(L)x 24"(W)x27"(H)crate, but she only uses it for agility trails so no big issue there.

I personally like wire crates, but I'm looking into soft crates for agility/trialing purposes

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've had good luck with wire and plastic crates. My boys, Jasper and Todd, are in wire crates but Dixie is in a plastic crate (she started escaping the wire one and nothing I did to try to fix the problem worked... And she can escape the plastic one if she really tries...).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, everyone! I think I'll go with a wire one, I definitely need something collapsible and hopefully he'll like it. Though I honestly don't plan on using it too much. Where is the cheapest place to get a good quality wire crate? I'm going to look on craigslist to see if anyone needs to get rid of one, but there don't seem to be any very close to me.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You could look at local consignment shops or at yard sales too. All dogs crates are pretty expensive in a store.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
You could put an ad on Craigslist

1 - 10 of 10 Posts