Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently got a new puppy and am using treats as positive reinforcement for his good behaviors (being calm, chewing toys instead of fingers/toes, going potty outside). I have been using the Train-Me treats for puppies at the recommendation of a friend. They worked at first, but he seems to have gotten sick of them/isn't taking them as much as he did previously.

I know every puppy is different, but if you have any treat recommendations that have worked well with training your pup in the past I would love to hear them!

Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
When you cook for your self some kind of meat. (chicken, beef, pork, ect.) you can always set a small portion aside to boil by themselves in water and cut em up into tiny pieces. I think if you make it exciting that he doesn't know what kind of treats he will get it will keep em motivated. Plus it's a little more healthier then cheese and hotdogs.

I give my dog a variety of different treats and he never knows what he will get. Sometimes it's kibble with some sort of oil rubbed in, sometimes it's hotdogs, sometimes it's beef or pork or chicken. For a puppies I think it probably would be best to stay away from fatty type foods so I'd go with plain boiled meats.

Reactions: samanthalynn25

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I also use a variety. Diced chicken, small bits of deli meat, small pieces of string cheese...

As far as store bought goes, we go through a lot of Zukes minis. They are similar I think to Train me treats but have more flavor varieties. If you can find it a friend gave my puppy a bag of Fresh Pet Vital Grain free for cats and everyone (other dogs and cat included) are loving them. If you don't mind cutting, natural balance food rolls are also often a hit.:)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi everyone,

I recently got a new puppy and am using treats as positive reinforcement for his good behaviors (being calm, chewing toys instead of fingers/toes, going potty outside). I have been using the Train-Me treats for puppies at the recommendation of a friend. They worked at first, but he seems to have gotten sick of them/isn't taking them as much as he did previously.

I know every puppy is different, but if you have any treat recommendations that have worked well with training your pup in the past I would love to hear them!

Thank you :)
Real meat it better because you know what you are getting as far as ingredients and its cheeper. You can get a dehydrator or use your oven at very low temp or just cook it in a pan and put in snack size zip locks. Freeze what ever you won't use in 3 days. Zap in a micro for quick defrost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts