Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for opinions on the best treat dispensing/self-feeding dog toys. Which toys have you found to be best overall in areas such as durability, how long they occupy your dog, appeal to your dog, and cost?

Suggestions on making good homemade toys are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I like the magic mushroom ...but your dog would have to like throwing it around, picking it up and dropping it to get the treats...bullet proof plastic!
The tug a jug only one dog could figure it out..but boy do they play a long time with it!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
My personal favorites are
-Buster Cube: I adjust the difficulty by putting tape over the holes in the center tube (con: noisy),
-Starmark treat toys: super durable, especially the green ball, and delightfully Quiet playtime; challenge depends on the toy and what kibble/treats you use but the green is very tedious/time consuming. (special shoutout to the Pickle Pocket)
-Omega Paws treat ball: super easy for kibble until the end, but pretty tricky if using with odd shaped or larger treats, quiet
-Petsafe Barnacle: I like this for treats; you can adjust difficulty permanently by cutting the teeth things; nice change up from just rolling things around; quiet; durable

Reactions: pkelley

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally, we got the Kong Wobbler for our dogs. However, the poor guys really couldn't figure out how to get the food out, even after days of us "helping" them by showing them how to knock it around. It's also huge and heavy (which is good for rough dogs I suppose).

Someone recommended the "Smarter Toys IQ Treatball" to us, because you can take out the middle so it's just a plastic ball with a good-sized hole. The dogs figure it out really quickly because it rolls at the slightest touch, spilling the food out. Once they figure it out you can put the middle back it so it's more difficult. Eventually I'm hoping they graduate to figuring out the Kong Wobbler!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think it also depends on how driven your dog is. Quenya, my Kelpiex won't work hard for food in a toy. Even a normal Kong isn't worth it for her half the time, so I went with a soft rubber puppy-oriented stuffable ring.

Victoria loves Kongs, and Skipper loves Kongs. I'll also throw in a second for the Barnacle by Petsafe--it has an interesting shape that intrigues the dogs. I'm also looking into buying their Kibble Nibble toy as a more meal-oriented dispenser option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.