Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Echo has dry cracked pads, nothing serious or near causing open wounds.

Until now I've left them because they don't bother her in any discernible way and handling her paws caused her distress.

She'll let me work with her paws now so I'd like to apply an emollient/moisturizer. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Funny story, I wonder if this is a Border Collie thing. Heidi's pads have been cracked forever. They don't seem to bother her, but they are so different from Levi's.

I've tried Musher's secret, and it doesn't really do anything for her. There are a couple others I want to try:
-Bag Balm
-Burt's Bees has a thing for noses/pads

I'm also trying to find something that will help heal the pads without making them too soft.

Heidi on the left, Levi on the right.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, never would have occurred to me that it was a breed thing. Thanks for the photo comparison!

I was looking at the burts bees one, I like the ingredient list!

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I just realized I have a GIANT container of coconut oil that maybe I could use...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely worth a shot, it shouldn't cause too much softening either because it has a passive rather than active effect.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I make stuff that works well for dry cracked skin on any animal. 50/50 coconut oil and cocoa butter - all organic, toss in a little peppermint essential oil to taste. The cocoa butter comes in hard blocks, melt both on a low heat, allow to cool til solid but soft then whip with a hand mixer. Works great for everything and dogs love to eat it, tastes like peppermint chocolate. i rub it into his pads, massage it in.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Ooh @jagger I will definitely try that. They would smell so yummy. Like Christmas.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Mint Chocolate Whipped Body Butter Recipe | The Nourished Life

I melt mine, let it harden, then whip. keep it in a cool place. Melts on the skin as soon as it's applied.

I've tried everything on the market for my hands, so dry they crack and bleed. This combo is the only thing that works. I rinse Monty with a bit after a bath, leaves his skin and hair silky smooth. maybe that's why dogs chase him around, smells so good. He loves to eat it and the best part, there's no theobromine in cocoa butter.

Buy the good stuff. i get cocoa butter locally, they bring it in from Argentina I believe, it's not cheap.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Funny story, I wonder if this is a Border Collie thing. Heidi's pads have been cracked forever. They don't seem to bother her, but they are so different from Levi's.

I've tried Musher's secret, and it doesn't really do anything for her. There are a couple others I want to try:
-Bag Balm
-Burt's Bees has a thing for noses/pads

I'm also trying to find something that will help heal the pads without making them too soft.

Heidi on the left, Levi on the right.
Oh god!! That looks bad! I'm glad it doesn't seem to bother her though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts