Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas is coming and so begins my search for the perfect leather collar for Tessa - it's the only kind she can wear, nylon makes her hair fall out and she can wiggle out of neoprene - still don't know how she does it, they're size correctly and everything :(.

Anyhow, I'm looking for beautiful leather collars with quick release buckles. Any suggestions. I'm already combing etsy, but I don't shop on there often so I'm not sure which retailer is best? I've also seen some from mimi green, but don't know how the quality is. Would also like a supplier that can either bolt a name tag on the collar or engrave the buckle.

A little about Tess: We hike in the coulees near my house ofter, so quick release is best because there are A LOT of bushes she can get caught in. She does get into water occasionally, and is pretty hard on her collars - we've been through 6 this year :eek: budget is $50-$150 depending on quality. We don't use her collar for attaching leashes, she has a ruffler harnesses for her leash :), unless in emerg situations; but do occasionally have to handle her via collar, so no spikes. Flat is best, intra-leather designed are welcome. Because who likes a plain collar? lol

Thanks guys!

Oh and some I'm looking at:
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/111...c172efe89917febbc1ccc4774a2165596dd:111639766

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/197...y=leather collar with buckle&ref=sr_gallery_2

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/193209465/dogs-art-pinwheel-zinnia-easy-release?ref=related-3 (this one by far is my fave)

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
3rd one is lovely but what about getting it if possible in a red color? black and black you cant really see the collar on the dog unless close up? id go with a contrast color personally. paco do leather collars but not sure if they do release buckles

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
id never be able to afford paco collars! unless won lotto and a million dollars lol

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Do you absolutely need the quick release buckle? From what I've seen it seems like that would narrow your selection a LOT when it comes to leather collars..

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I also REALLY don't like all the jewels on the Paco collars, I much prefer a nice plain one. I don't think I've ever seen a quick-release leather collar, I'm interested to see if you find a nice one!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Maybe its from a lifetime of wearing belts but I don't think a regular collar buckle is difficult to get off quickly. In certain situations I feel like the snap buckle could be difficult to open. Wearing gloves for example, or in cold weather which can make metal components sticky.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I have a regular collar from Mimi Green and really like the quality of the buckle. It's not Roxie's everyday collar (Only her agility collar), but it's durable and doesn't scratch easy. I'll be buying another one for Forbes soon.

As far as leather, I don't have any suggestions on quick release. I got my dogs collars from Hilltop Leather and really do like the quality I have gotten from them. They have stood up to a lot of beating and, other then needing a good oiling, have stood the test of time. And they attach the name tags.

Padded Collar – Hill Top Leather Shop

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While the pact's are nice, I'm not a blingy girl. I much rather either a nice colour or design burnt/stamped into the leather instead.

Do you absolutely need the quick release buckle? From what I've seen it seems like that would narrow your selection a LOT when it comes to leather collars..
I'm ok with buckles, however, quick releases are easier to get open for me simply because all I have to find is the buckle and push, instead of grab the piece, pull it back, release the pin and get it off. I get it's a matter of seconds, but I've never had a quick release fail.I guess I've also been traumatized by a friends dog getting it's tooth stuck on a regular buckle collar on another dog...

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
While the pact's are nice, I'm not a blingy girl. I much rather either a nice colour or design burnt/stamped into the leather instead.

I'm ok with buckles, however, quick releases are easier to get open for me simply because all I have to find is the buckle and push, instead of grab the piece, pull it back, release the pin and get it off. I get it's a matter of seconds, but I've never had a quick release fail.I guess I've also been traumatized by a friends dog getting it's tooth stuck on a regular buckle collar on another dog...

I'm not either, the Paco one that I want for Zody has a minimum of studs. All the bejewled ones are way to busy for me, it's probably why I liked the one I linked you to, it's much less busy then most of the other ones.

The buckles are extremely hard to get open if the collar is fitted correctly and the dog gets something caught between it and her neck. I had it happen to Jersey, she managed to get her leather collar caught on a draw pull knob and I almost had to cut the collar off. With a clasp you won't have the problem so I don't blame you for wanting one.

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Remy has a blingy Karma collar and I love it, it's holding up great! They run pretty $$$ (just under/par with Paco). She's just so rugged that it kind of perks her up a bit! Hilltop is also great for more plain ones, Ella's Lead, etc. I'm not sure about quick release, I feel like those metal buckles wouldn't open anyways...

Attachments

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
I dont mind a bit of bling esp if my fav color purple and pink but not everyone likes it and i respect that :) got to admit the others linked to are nice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.