Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations on good hiking packs for dogs. I've got a 30kg staffy x who drinks a tonne of water when we hike and I'm thinking its time he carries some of his own water instead of filling half my pack!

I'm after something that's obviously durable and spacious enough to hold a couple of litres of water. It's really important that's it's comfortable for him to wear for multiple days at a time and is breathable. I'm in South Australia and it gets bloody hot!

I've read so many reviews and can't seem to find something that stands out over the rest!

Any advice, thoughts or personal experiences welcome!

Here's a picture of my best buddy on our latest hike!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I highly recommend ruffwear packs! IMO they have some of the best products out there and while they can be a bit pricey they are totally worth it.

I have the palisades pack for my labx and have plans to eventually at some point get Karma one. She currently has an outward hound pack, but I really hate the fit. She carries weight on her spine/back whcih from what I've read can be damaging so I've been planning to buy her a ruffwear pack.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Another vote for the Ruffwear Palisades pack. I love how balanced it lies on my girl and how well-made it is. Less of a problem in Australia, but I also like that it's water-resistent fabric so I don't have to worry bout things inside getting damp unless we're in a real downpour.

I also LOVE that it comes with a 1L bladder in each side of the pack so that you don't have to worry about water-bottles. It's also really nice that it just unclips from the harness so you can easily take it on and off for play time/pit stops without having to take the harness on and off.

Two BIG thumbs up from me! Definitely worth the extra cost if you're out hiking frequently.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I have a pretty basic Outward Hound backpack which I really like. I haven't used it to much yet but I hope to use it more as it starts to warm up. Its got lots of room plus extra pockets underneath the initial back pack which can completely come off the harness base which is nice for cleaning. I'm hopefully going to get another one with a D-ring for my other dog.
Sawyer 210.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts