Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oscar, my 10 lb. chi mix has started training. Our trainer has us scheduled for a "field trip" next week. We will be going to a rather busy mall and walking around, then to Home Depot. Oscar's harness that he wears now works out ok, but he has been known to back out of it. So, what I need to find is a harness that will be escape proof but that also won't do damage to this throat. I have been searching and wondered about the Buddy Belt. Those of you with tiny dogs, please tell me what harnesses you think are the most escape proof and are the best for your little dogs with trachea issues.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
They are pricey but the Ruffwear Webmaster is what a lot of people say is the best for being escape proof.

Reactions: kathyt

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I've tried numerous supposedly choke free harnesses and all except for 2 caused Zody to choke if he pulled hard enough, and of the 2 that didn't cause him to choke only one of them did he find comfortable, both of them he can get out of.

1 of the two was the Buddy Belt but unfortunately Zody hated it and started actively avoiding me when I tried putting it on him. I'm not sure if it was because of the overly large buckle, if it was somehow rubbing him even though I had bought the pad things to go around the part that goes under their legs, or if it was something else, never did figure it out. Bear in mind that Zody is practically naked on his chest and lower neck, so it's easy for stuff to rub to much on him.

The second is the one I use now, it's called a ChokeFree Velpro Mesh harness (they also make it in leather in a variety of colors), it's very similar to the Buddy Belt, does not choke Zody, the way it closes is with velcro and it has a D ring that passes through the top velcro that the leash attaches to. I've been using it for months now and Zody, while not loving it, does not run from it. The drawback is that it can be backed out of, so you need to be careful not to pull the dog forward (pulling the leash towards the dogs head) also Zody has slipped a leg through the neck when tucking his legs in tight to his chest. The reason I keep using it is it's the only harness I've found that does not choke him and that he will tolerate wearing.

Zody in the ChokeFree

Here's the link to the website if you're interested in one, unless it's changed you'll have to order it from a retail website or you may be lucky and find a store near you that sells them. I got Zody's from the Morrco website.
Vel*Pro Mesh
This is the link for their leather version of it. I really wish Zody could use one Pet Collars and Harnesses that do not choke dogs and cats

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Here's him in the Buddy Belt, you can see the size of the buckle compared to him, and how the leg openings fit, he had a 16in girth back then and I got him a size 5 which should have fit, he might have done better with a smaller size, but from everything I read the size of the buckle would have been the same and it's very large for Zody.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are pricey but the Ruffwear Webmaster is what a lot of people say is the best for being escape proof.

Amazon.com : Web Master Harness, Medium, Red Currant : Pet Halter Harnesses : Pet Supplies
Thanks for the reply. This is a harness that I've been thinking about. I did search this forum and this harness seems to be one of the favorites here. My only concern is that second strap that goes around the dogs mid section. It looks like it might be uncomfortable for Oscar's build. And it seems like an awfully lot of strong, tough material for a tiny dog, who doesn't pull that much, but does backs out of certain harnesses. I just think it seems like overkill and an awful lot of money for most likely not using very often. But it might be my best bet.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bear in mind that Zody is practically naked on his chest and lower neck, so it's easy for stuff to rub to much on him.
Rain, I was hoping to hear from you on this topic, because in my searches on this topic, it seems that our two dogs have some things in common. Like the nakedness! (Armpits too!) Among other things. :) So, I think I will rule against the Buddy Belt. That buckle looks ridiculous for little dogs. And if they can back out of it, that's exactly Oscar's way of escaping. Thanks for the pictures, they really help me visualize it much better. BTW, Zody is so darn cute!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Thanks for the reply. This is a harness that I've been thinking about. I did search this forum and this harness seems to be one of the favorites here. My only concern is that second strap that goes around the dogs mid section. It looks like it might be uncomfortable for Oscar's build. And it seems like an awfully lot of strong, tough material for a tiny dog, who doesn't pull that much, but does backs out of certain harnesses. I just think it seems like overkill and an awful lot of money for most likely not using very often. But it might be my best bet.....

It was bulky for Zody I got him the XXS one, which is the smallest they make, and it was just to long and didn't fit right, BUT Zody has very weird measurements and is hard to fit. The sternum piece rubbed against his penis, and there was no way to keep it from doing that.

Here's my thread on it, http://www.dogforum.com/dog-gear-supplies/best-place-buy-web-master-harness-146346/page2/ it has pictures of him in it, how the sternum piece was rubbing him, and a picture of Tiggerbounce's dog in hers so you can see how it should fit. Pictures and stuff are on page 2.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Rain, I was hoping to hear from you on this topic, because in my searches on this topic, it seems that our two dogs have some things in common. Like the nakedness! (Armpits too!) Among other things. :) So, I think I will rule against the Buddy Belt. That buckle looks ridiculous for little dogs. And if they can back out of it, that's exactly Oscar's way of escaping. Thanks for the pictures, they really help me visualize it much better. BTW, Zody is so darn cute!

Aww Thanks!
If Zody purposely tried escaping from the harness I'd not be able to use it, it's really easy for them to slip. If you want to try it you could try using the harness and collar, put the main leash on the harness, and put a backup line on the collar, that way if he slips the harness he's still secured by the collar. You could fasten the line to the leash.

Reactions: kathyt

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww Thanks!
If you want to try it you could try using the harness and collar, put the main leash on the harness, and put a backup line on the collar, that way if he slips the harness he's still secured by the collar. You could fasten the line to the leash.
This sounds like a good idea. But to be honest, I don't quit get it? Am I using two leashes, or is the line somehow attached to the leash? Sorry for my stupidity.....

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
This sounds like a good idea. But to be honest, I don't quit get it? Am I using two leashes, or is the line somehow attached to the leash? Sorry for my stupidity.....

I probably explained it horribly, at times I'm as clear as mud LOL.

The leash is attached to the harness and should be slightly shorter then the line or leash that's attached to the collar so it's the leash that's attached to the harness that's controlling the dog and the leash on the collar is there as backup. You can see what I mean at this link http://www.majesticcollars.com/happy7/sphrn1.jpg Some people use split leashes like the one in the picture, some use two leashes. What I'd probably do is use a leash then rig up a light line to attach to the collar and attach the other end of the line to the bottom of the leash. That's just because Zody does best with light gear and most split leashes that I've seen are made for larger dogs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probably explained it horribly, at times I'm as clear as mud LOL.

The leash is attached to the harness and should be slightly shorter then the line or leash that's attached to the collar so it's the leash that's attached to the harness that's controlling the dog and the leash on the collar is there as backup. You can see what I mean at this link http://www.majesticcollars.com/happy7/sphrn1.jpg Some people use split leashes like the one in the picture, some use two leashes. What I'd probably do is use a leash then rig up a light line to attach to the collar and attach the other end of the line to the bottom of the leash. That's just because Zody does best with light gear and most split leashes that I've seen are made for larger dogs.
I get it now! And I like this idea for Oscar. Thanks Rain!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oscar, my 10 lb. chi mix has started training. Our trainer has us scheduled for a "field trip" next week. We will be going to a rather busy mall and walking around, then to Home Depot. Oscar's harness that he wears now works out ok, but he has been known to back out of it. So, what I need to find is a harness that will be escape proof but that also won't do damage to this throat. I have been searching and wondered about the Buddy Belt. Those of you with tiny dogs, please tell me what harnesses you think are the most escape proof and are the best for your little dogs with trachea issues.
If you are still looking for a harness, my friend uses this one by Julius K9 and she likes it. I know she was worried about purchasing a harness online because on smaller dogs it fits different and bothers the neck part. This one lays lower, more like on the chest, so it is comfortable. Although, she never had issues with escaping so I can't tell you anything about that. You could purchase a Y belt with the harness and that would definitely secure your dog more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.