Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a puppy (about 8 months) with really bad allergies. She also gets food allergies. The first food I ever gave her (can't remember brand) caused her to have extreme shedding, so we changed the food to Purina Beneful Healthy Puppy which completely stopped the shedding and she loves it.

She has been eating that for months, but now she has started shedding A LOT. The vet said it is most likely caused by a food allergy.

So I have a few questions...

#1 - Can dogs become allergic to their food all of a sudden?

#2 - What is the best food to give a puppy with allergies?

Note: I've researched it a bit and everyone says to stay away from anything you can buy in stores. I don't like the idea of going with a food that I have to special order online. Any suggestions of foods that you can buy from major retailers are much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I personally don't feed kibble at all, but Beneful is one of the worst foods around. Stay away from Purina, and look for something that is all life stages. Taste Of The Wild comes to mind, but someone more versed in kibble could give you better ideas. You don't have to order online, but there are better, MUCH better foods out there.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
What kind of dog is this. Shedding is part of a dogs life. My dogs are fed the most excellent food and still shed. Thats what dogs do, some more than others. The kibbles and bits is one of the worst foods on the market. Bad ingredients and food dyes no real food value. This is a list of what one site says are 5 star food. Many to choose from but you have to go to a pet store to buy them.
Best Dry Grain Free Dog Foods
I don't think your dog has allergies. Shedding has nothing to do with food allergies as far as I know. You had the dog on one of the worst foods on the market and you say he did not shed. That should tell you its not the food, the dog is just naturally shedding at certain times of year.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hi all,
I have a puppy (about 8 months) with really bad allergies. She also gets food allergies. The first food I ever gave her (can't remember brand) caused her to have extreme shedding, so we changed the food to Purina Beneful Healthy Puppy which completely stopped the shedding and she loves it.

She has been eating that for months, but now she has started shedding A LOT. The vet said it is most likely caused by a food allergy.

Note: I've researched it a bit and everyone says to stay away from anything you can buy in stores. I don't like the idea of going with a food that I have to special order online. Any suggestions of foods that you can buy from major retailers are much appreciated.
Is the shedding leaving bald patches of skin? What about excessive itching?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is a short haired mix (rat terrier/beagle). The shedding isn't leaving bald spots, but it is so excessive that just petting her causes hair to fly everywhere. This is not normal shedding, per the vet. She is also itchy and chews on her paws a lot.

I've heard bad things about Purina recently. :( I'm just not sure which other store-bought brands are better.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Beneful is rated very low as far as a quality food. Go to Dogfoodadvisor.com to research foods of better quality and that may be available to you locally.
Costco has their Kirkland Signature line and even Walmart's 'Pure Balance' line of dog food is better than anything Purina IMO!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi all,

Hello!

Have you thought about raw feeding? I have a dog with food allergies and raw feeding has been so far so good. We have tried several high quality (like $100+ a month bag of food) and it doesn't work.

To be honest, Purina is not a good brand. I have tried what vets claim to be good like Royal Canin, Blue, and the Hills and they are all junk and those are considered good quality. If I were you, I would look into feeding raw! Its been the best so far because its whole food.. not processed. Feeding a dog kibble every meal, is like us eating McDonalds each meal.. Imagine how we would be if we ate that! lol.

To answer your questions, in my opinion:
1. Dogs can most definitely show allergies all of a sudden. In my experience, that is actually what happens. They become allergic to the food, especially after eating the same food for so long. My dog didn't show allergy signs until after about a year old. I think most food allergies show up around 1 year for dogs. Your dog could also have environmental allergies so I encourage you to document when you notice the shedding is occurring. Is itching happening with the shedding? If you notice it is more in the spring time, it could be environmental. I still recommend you take her off kibble though either way!

2. Raw food is amazing for dogs with allergies. If I could make a law, I would ban ALL kibble. lol. I have spent thousands on kibble for my allergic dog and absolutely nothing worked.

If you would like some more info on raw, please don't hesitate to ask. There is also a lot of forum users who have been feeding raw far longer than me and they helped me a lot! @annageckos and others have been extremely helpful when it comes to questions with raw!

Hope this helps!
Kerri

Reactions: annageckos

·
Registered
917 Posts
There really is no one 'best' food, but I do recommend raw feeding. I've seen it do wonders for dogs with allergies. It can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but is really very easy. As for the food you are feeding, it's pure junk. Take a look at the ingredients, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Wheat Flour... are the first four listed. Corn, wheat and soy are all common allergens in dogs. Soy flour, sugar and animal digest are some of the next ingredients listed. There is also coloring added, which can cause all kinds of issues in some animals. One of my cats will vomit if he eats anything with red coloring added. When looking for a new food don't be fooled by a long list of fruits and veggies, dogs don't need these. They do not have the same nutritional needs that people do. I would stay away from any food that you find in the big box stores and grocery stores.

Reactions: KerriAnn

·
Registered
200 Posts
Winter is over and summer is here, which might be why you're seeing her shed more. Although I'm not sure where you're located.
Thats true! It really depends on when you notice the shedding happening.
@MollyDoggy, I love your profile pic. SOOOO CUTE! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
There really is no one 'best' food, but I do recommend raw feeding. I've seen it do wonders for dogs with allergies. It can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but is really very easy. As for the food you are feeding, it's pure junk. Take a look at the ingredients, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Wheat Flour... are the first four listed. Corn, wheat and soy are all common allergens in dogs. Soy flour, sugar and animal digest are some of the next ingredients listed. There is also coloring added, which can cause all kinds of issues in some animals. One of my cats will vomit if he eats anything with red coloring added. When looking for a new food don't be fooled by a long list of fruits and veggies, dogs don't need these. They do not have the same nutritional needs that people do. I would stay away from any food that you find in the big box stores and grocery stores.
I knew you could help! You have so much great information, especially when it comes to the importance of raw feeding and how food can effect allergies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts