Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm coming here because I'm going to be a first-time dog owner in 3 weeks. My cockapoo, Rumi, will be coming home and I'm in serious research mode (have been for a couple of months now).

I'm going to get her an exercise pen and a crate that will be in the pen indoors in my bedroom, but I'm having trouble deciding on what kind of exercise pen to get. I'm also a student, so I'm looking for the best options that are, if possible, cost-effective. I have a few friends with dogs but they've never taken one on personally, so I'm having a hard time finding advice I can trust.

Ideally, I would get this: Midwest Exercise Pen with Door - 30" - Gates & Exercise Pens - Dog - PetSmart

But it is a hefty price for me to pay. The great part, it seems, is that it has a door, because this one has no door and is $20 cheaper!

Midwest Black Exercise Pen Without Door - 30" - Gates & Exercise Pens - Dog - PetSmart

Do you guys think it's worth it to pay $20 just for a door? Will I get frustrated not having one?

And also, do you think 30" height is too short/tall for a cockapoo? She's not going to be more than 23" and that is a high estimate. My breeder said a 24" is too short, but I don't know how high to go because I've never personally experienced dogs and don't know how high she would be able to jump. (Right now she's very little but later).

ALSO, I'm wondering what are the best kind of materials to put under the whole pen, since I have hardwood floors that I wouldn't want to ruin with her pee.

I was thinking of something like this: 5 ft. x 7 ft. Blue Tarp-BPF005007 at The Home Depot

Or this: 3 sq. ft. Plastic White Corrugated Sheets (15-Pack)-COR-2418-15 at The Home Depot

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give! Nobody in my family has ever had dogs (just cats), and this is a whole new area for me, and I just want to make her life with me as awesome as possible.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
a cockapoo is a mix breed and not an actual breed so there is no way of saying how big she will be.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
you should look into kongs and then dog puzzles. Poodles are highly intelligent an cocker spaniels were bred to be hunters. You will need to keep her mind exercised as well as her body.

Also grooming is very important invest in good brushes and remember that she might not necessarily be non shedding just because she is a poodle mix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For everyone saying there is no such thing as a "cockapoo"... thanks? I understand it's a cocker spaniel/poodle mix.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me with my question at all. I wasn't asking about breeds/mix-breeds/choosing puppies. I need help with very specific, practical things, and that doesn't help me.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
You are welcome. I bought two through them and they are great..:) If you know anyone in the medical field you can ask them about bed pads. I buy them through a company that sells used ones $15 for 10.

·
Banned
419 Posts
For everyone saying there is no such thing as a "cockapoo"... thanks? I understand it's a cocker spaniel/poodle mix.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me with my question at all. I wasn't asking about breeds/mix-breeds/choosing puppies. I need help with very specific, practical things, and that doesn't help me.
I'm sorry. The name just irks me. It is a marketing/advertising ploy for back yard breeders. Just a mutt like any other.
I don't have an answer to your question but good luck.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Doors are nice to have.

Unfortunately, my Calypso figured out how to open the door of her playpen after about two weeks. I have had to ziptie it shut, thus eliminating my ability to open it as well. Ha!

Question--Rumi...like the Sufi poet?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I'm sorry. The name just irks me. It is a marketing/advertising ploy for back yard breeders. Just a mutt like any other.
You do know mostly all purebred dogs are the result of mix breeding. I think it takes so many generations away from the original mix for it to be classified as a pure bred. Once there is a true type from mating same to same.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
You do know that all pure dogs are the result of mix breeding. I think it takes so many generations away from the original mix for it to be classified as a pure bred. Once there is a true type from mating same to same.
taking the thread a little bit of topic but it is an interesting debate perhaps there should be a new thread created.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand - thankfully, this puppy will come from a friend who was JUST about to spay her doggie, when she realized 2 days before that she was pregnant. And I know her personally, so I know she's not doing this for money.

Thank you!

·
Banned
419 Posts
You do know mostly all purebred dogs are the result of mix breeding. I think it takes so many generations away from the original mix for it to be classified as a pure bred. Once there is a true type from mating same to same.
I'm not even getting into a debate about this... I'll just say that if calling our dogs Cockapoos, Labradoodles, and Bullshitz becomes an acceptable practice, then we open the door even wider for the plethora of byb's that make a profit off of these cutsie names.
They also sound dumb IMO. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doors are nice to have.

Unfortunately, my Calypso figured out how to open the door of her playpen after about two weeks. I have had to ziptie it shut, thus eliminating my ability to open it as well. Ha!

Question--Rumi...like the Sufi poet?
Oh no! Hm.. that's definitely something to consider about the door. That's exactly what I came here for though, this kind of knowledge. So thanks for providing some insight!

As for the name, yep! My boyfriend is Persian and it's his (and really, mine as well) favourite poet. He said the name as a joke when we were talking about naming her, and I loved it so much that I couldn't seem to think of anything else! :)

·
Banned
419 Posts
I understand - thankfully, this puppy will come from a friend who was JUST about to spay her doggie, when she realized 2 days before that she was pregnant. And I know her personally, so I know she's not doing this for money.

Thank you!
Why didn't she do a spay/abort...? Oh well, what's done is done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not even getting into a debate about this... I'll just say that if calling our dogs Cockapoos, Labradoodles, and Bullshitz becomes an acceptable practice, then we open the door even wider for the plethora of byb's that make a profit off of these cutsie names.
They also sound dumb IMO. ;)
Hey, at least I'm getting a cockapoo and not a golden cock (what I assume would be a mix of golden retriever and cocker spaniel)...

Dumb is a relative term. :p

·
Banned
419 Posts
Hey, at least I'm getting a cockapoo and not a golden cock (what I assume would be a mix of golden retriever and cocker spaniel)...

Dumb is a relative term. :p
A dog with "poo" at the end...... bwa hahahaha
I'm not poking fun of you honestly, it just tickled me pink :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts