Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/girls,

I purchased a fairly cheep groomer on Amazon.com a while back but I am having serious trouble cutting my dog's hair with it. Both of them are labradoodles and have fairly thick hair. Is there an electric razor out there around $50 that will get the job done easily? Any other tips/tricks I should know about? Thank you for your help!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
The Amazon link does not take me to the clippers you purchased.

These are the ones I got my friend to purchase for her toy poodle, I clip the dog for her,

So far the problems I've had with them I suspect it due to the operator and not the clippers. I've yet to be able to do the poodles feet with them like I see videos on groomers clipping poodles do, but like I said I really believe the problem lies with me. I KNOW that I could do a better job of it if I had a grooming table, a blower, and all the combs etc, that professional groomers have.

If you just need a basic set of clippers, that cost mid price, and do a decent job, then I do believe these would work. I've yet to have the battery give out, the clippers get through a poodles coat, and it comes with 4 different blade guards.

Some tips I can give you are make sure your dog is washed and mat free, the clippers will not get though mats if you are using a blade guard and without one you run the risk of cutting the dog.

Back brush the dog (fluff up the hair) as you go, the clippers push the coat down as you use them and fluffing the coat back up will help you get an even groom.

Watch a lot of grooming videos before attempting to clip the dog, they have lots of tips in them and you'll get a better idea of how to use the clippers.

Be very careful around the flap of skin that's on the side it connects the hind leg to the side of the dog. You need to pull it tight before using the clipper on it or you run the risk of cutting it open. Grooming videos should show you what I"m talking about and how to avoid cutting it.

Reactions: TankandJethro

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have a Golden Doodle and use my Oster or Andis clippers on her. I also have a small cordless Andis clipper that I do her feet with. I have just recently clipped her all over with a #10 blade which is short but will do her for the summer. She has really curly hair so I don't clip the top of her head or her tail but I like her with a clean face which I know is not the usual Golden or Lab Doodle look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Groomer

I've been cutting my labradoodle's hair in the body by the Oster Grooming clipper with a 5FC blade, Kool-Lube and a number 10 blade for belly, under and behind ears. And don't worry about the price since it's just around $50 or so, but just really fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh goodness...I know im late on this but please take your dog to a groomer...doing at home haircuts with cheap clippers (professional clippers cost 100-300+ for a good pair) is so dangerous especially if you go the wrong way on the skin cutting your dog (hello expensive vet bill), you can cause clipper burn as well if you don't know what you're doing. If your blade isn't going through your dogs coat, your baby might be matted causing the equipment to not work properly and you can cut your dog that way too from the blade pulling the skin.

There's way more to cutting your dogs hair than just slapping a blade on some clippers and shaving your dog down.

Trust me, paying the 40-70 bucks is better than hurting your dog and having a higher vet bill or causing skin issues.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad or attack you at all and I really hope you don't think that, it's just in my years of grooming I've seen so many horror home haircuts and dogs that have multiple cuts on the body from people trying to groom them. Hopefully you see this! Have a good one and again please just take your baby to a reputable groomer! It'll be so worth it.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.