Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Dog Forumers,

I was wondering what some of you guys and gals with large breed dogs use as toys? Do you know any specific kind or brand that lasts a long, long time? My Pit Bull/Boxer mix makes a huge mess when he pulls out all the stuffing of his plush victims (which is usually within an hour of getting it). But worse, he chews through everything in sight when he doesn't have a toy to chew. He does not like to chew on those hard rubber toys like the tires or kongs (unless filled), so buying those isn't an option.

Thanks,
Nicholas

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Nylabones.

Bumis are similar to kongs and the like but the shape is unique so you might have better luck with those.

Oversized squeaky balls-fave have been the jw isqueak balls. If you get one that's too big for him to actually pick up with his mouth, or only JUST able to pick up, it'll be harder for him to destroy them.

NO stuffed toys. Stuffing can get eaten and really mess up a digestive track.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Nylabones Honestly with all other toys it's trail and error. I have fuzzy wubba toy from kong that has lasted forever but the jolly ball only a week or so. I haven't figured out what triggers the destruction yet.

·
Registered
374 Posts
kong makes other products than their rubber one (the most common) this is what I have for kyra (she destroys tennis balls, rubber balls, any type of toy) and this one is still intact!
Ballistic Bone - KONG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmm, you say no hard rubber but what about a rubber ball? I recently bought this (the orange one) and Bossco is loving it. It's not as hard as the Kong toys, and it can fit in one of these for extra fun!

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
My Airedale Terrier loves to "kill" his toys .
There are not many that hold up .
He has the Extreme Kong ( black one ) - still alive ..
Cuz Ball ( large ) - still alive
Jolly Pet Ball ( 8 inch ) - still alive

·
Registered
185 Posts
We have a similar problem with our pit mix! She has no interest in Kongs or similar 'indestructible' rubber toys. If she can't rip it up, she doesn't like it! We've just ended up buying tons of cheap stuffed toys when they're on sale at the local pet stores. She destroys them but we have more where they came from, so it's all good!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My neopolitan mastiff, is not destructive with toys, my old bullmastiff was though, we used to get him old go cart tyres, nothing to hurt himself on, but took forever to chew through, antlers are great too.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Kris has always chewed all the stuffing out of her toys but she has never tried to eat it. I just stop at Garage Sales or the Share Shed at the dump and pick up some more. She has lots of empty "carcasses" around that she has destuffed and she carries them around and plays with them a lot.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I love jolly balls! They chew the handle but still carry them around. Also bison knee bones are fantastic..and Dentleys makes a great bone too. Our butcher smokes cow femurs and they last forever and are cheap!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Another vote for Jolly Ball and Bumi here. There is also a large Kong that has some durable strapping attached that can be used as a tug toy, if your dog likes to tug.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with all who recommended nylabones. Charley refuses all toys, bones, etc. My last dog, however, destroyed every toy in site except for nylabones. Oh, and the Kong bouncy balls that squeaked. She still ruined them, but it took quite a bit longer than the other ones.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My basenji was a very heavy chewer, though small, and would destroy anything he could. His favorites that didn't get destroyed were the Goodie Bone by Kong and a Holee-roller. I would stuff the goodie bone with cheese and he'd really work at it. Didn't care for regular Kongs though. The Holee I used in a way to still satisfy his desire of shredding without hurting himself. I bought a bunch of fleece ( walmart or craft store about .30 to .99 cents for a sheet or buy by the yard) and cut it it to strips. I'd then roll his treats in the strips of fleece and stuff the Holee roller with it. He'd have to pull and unroll the strips to get the treats. He never ate the fleece either. Not sure how your dog would react or wether they'd eat the fleece? I haven't heard of it happening before with others who have done this with Holee rollers.

Another recommendation for perhaps a long lasting chew is a Himalayan dog chew. My basenji could've cared less about the Nylabone chews I got him so I got him a Himalayan chew, bully sticks( didn't last long!), and marrow bones. He was a very heavy chewer so I had to eventually take away the Himalayan chew since he has no impulse control and his gums would bleed. It may work for your dog IF they are not a fast eater or gulper. They are great chews for dogs that'll take their time with it. I wish my dog liked Nylabones, I think they're great and old definitely try one with your mix. Best of luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts